Mosman! What's it like?

Amanda87

I think I want to live in Mosman as its close to work (north shore private hospital) and also close to the beach (balmoral) does anyone live here currently? I've only been in sydney 2 weeks so I'm still figuring out what are the nice areas to live....any help would be appreciated :)

Amanda

Nice, posh, very expensive. Good-ish shopping area with a lot of boutiques and cafes. Leafy, expensive housing. Transport only OK (buses and ferries only, and buses have to go up Military Rd which is horrible) but it's close to the city so doesn't really matter. Some really nice bots of harbour side bush at Middle Head and Bradley's Head. Expensive. Balmoral nice safe harbour beach, but a pain for parking and gets busy. Great chippy there though and a very nice (if expensive) restaurant or two. Did I mention expensive? It's an expensive family area. Not really that much going on for singles/couples, really, although plenty do live there. Expensive, did I say that yet?

I lived in Mosman, Neutral Bay, Cremorne for years. It's a great area 15 mins from Wynyard, 20 mins to RNS Hospital, Crows Nest & St leonards on the bus. Easy to drive around once you know how to avoid Military Road. Lots of cafes, good restaurants, bars, clubs and entertainment options + Heritage listed Balmoral Beach and surrounding Middle Head bushland.

It's also one of the most expensive areas to live in Sydney due to above features. I was always house sharing in the area whilst in my 20'ies which was expensive then. If you want a house or even flat to rent outright your gonna need deep pockets. Well worth it tho if your budget allows.

Good luck with the house hunting..

Anywhere lower North Shore is pretty pricey. But then it depends what your after. Look at domain.com.au for more of an idea.

A bit of extra rent if you can walk into work and live in a fab area is a small price to pay.

If you want cheaper areas you need to travel West or much further out north or south. I dont know your circumstances but for close proximity to the RNSH you be best looking for a house share or unit if theres more that one of you.

I don't really know what you want in terms of place to live (eg quiet/lively, how important is the beach really, budget, want something on your own or happy to share? Etc etc etc)

Good news is that NSH is at St Leonard's which is very well connected for transport. You could live anywhere on the lower north shore or inner city bits south of the harbour, or inner west bits that are close to the train and have a well easy trip to work.

Places on the north shore that are (a bit) cheaper than Mosman, even closer to work, and better for singles, are Neutral Bay and Crow's Nest. If you want quieter (but those are hardly Ibiza) then the close to NSH family ish suburbs like Lane Cove, Waverton, Greenwich, Artarmon might suit, again cheaper than Mosman

if you want 24/7 life then go south of the harbour and look at Surry Hills (especially as it's one train from Central to St.L) or Newtown. And if you really must live the beach then don't rule out Manly - although it will be a longer journey to work

Archived