Rentals in Perth - no previous history of renting

l55lee

Hi All

We've been living in Perth now for four months and it's time to start searching for a rental property. We've been really lucky as we've been able to stay with relatives so there's not been the need for references etc. We owned our own house in the UK, so the rental market will be a whole new experience.

Will a letting agent be concerned about our lack of rental experience? My relatives are happy to write a reference but I'm not sure whether it's necessary to embellish the truth to make us look more favourable for the rental market e.g. say that we've been paying to live at my relatives.

In terms of finances I've got a reasonable amount in the bank and have a good contracting job in the CBD with a well reputed IT outsourcer.

Any hints or tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Hi we only arrived on the 24th and we have secured a rental we were worried about not having a rental history having owned our home for 13 years we had a copy of our property that we sold with Uk agent and references from UK we also put down 6 months rental down as hubby hasn't secured a job yet so I think you will be fine. There are a lot of people looking and it was very daunting the amount of family's that arrive at the open inspection days. Just be prepared with paper work and if you are really interested in a property get you application in early good luck with the house hunting

Donna :biggrin:

We arrived 2 years ago having also owned our own home in the UK. We supplied a reference from our Estate Agent in the UK, our old neighbours in the UK and some friends here in Australia. We offered to pay 3 months in advance and showed all our bank statements showing that we had sufficient funds and had no problem securing a rental. Good Luck with the search!

Archived