We might need to mount a class action against DIAC! I did not realize how bad they are!

MARYROSE02

And remember that it is in the interests of migration agents to tell you just how difficult it is for the man and woman in the street to handle the migration process. Far better to pay us to do it for you and in some cases it may well be true, but there is also a case for saying you are paying them for doing something you can do for yourself for free.

Rubbish!

Read the Code of Conduct:

Clause 5.3

A registered migration agent:

(a) must not carry out work in a manner that unnecessarily increases the cost

to the client;

Many RMAs, having assessed a case, will advise prospective clients to apply on their own behalf.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GeorgeD
I think ABA has it about right. I think you're excusing DIAC a bit much. As you say when it comes to planning you'll get limited advice as to the process - but no one will actually do your application for you. THAT is fair, clear and reasonable. Not giving out any advice as to the process, or giving out inconsistent advice or incorrect information, is not

Whisper it...they don't give advice...lol

As for the incorrect information...yes...that's an issue...If you ask which office you send a form to, what their opening hours are, where you can find info on visa X, and they give you the wrong info, then absolutely, people have every right to complain about that.

Going back to the local council analogy...I can't phone and speak to the person who answers the phone about my house build. I need to fill in a form, make an appointment and then go and meet someone who is qualified to deal with my enquiry (allegedly.) There are 4826 Registered Migration Agents according to MARA. How many more staff would DIAC need to employ to be able to provide free adivce to all potential migrants? And who would pay for this free advice given to these non-Australians who may never come to Australia...Australian taxpayers or the other migrants who didn't need or ask for advice...In that respect it's actually a good thing they don't provide advice!

Guest GeorgeD
Nor have I yet found a page on their site which says specifically 'Do NOT contact us for advice or help on the migration process. Contact an approved migration agent.'

There isn't a page on the DIAC website which specifically states 'Do NOT contact us to create architectural plans for your new house. Contact an Architect' either...so does that mean I should be peeved if they don't help me some house plans just because they haven't specifically said they don't do it? It's not their role. You may feel it is...but it isn't You may be peeved that it isn't their role, and that's fine, but you can't complain they aren't doing a job that isn't theirs! Feel free to lobby, campaign, etc, to make that their responsibility, but while it isn't their responsibility, it's a fruitless exercise complaining about the standard of a service they don't actually provide!

As I've already linked to twice...there are pages which specifically say who to contact if you do want help. The ATO says contact them, contact a tax agent, etc. DIAC says contact an agent. DIAC don't say to contact them. If they were able to give advice on migration they would tell you how to contact them for such advice. They don't.

Archived