What do you do?

Just wondering, what do you good folks in Sydney do in your free time? I'm quite into my sports but until I get my pelvis sorted out I can't do any sports. Luckily the last few weekends have been busy with lots of other stuff to do (brunch, dinner, open air cinema, family gatherings, stag do, etc) but now starting to think about things to occupy my weekends with while I'm restricted to non-sports activities.

I'm down in Beverly Hills and no transport as yet. Staying with family while we build up enough savings to get our own rental. Just landed a job, start on Wednesday so will be staying with family for a while yet.

I can't swim so beaches aren't much use to me! It's on my list of things to learn!!

The other half is out on Saturday so I've decided I'm going to head into the city and check out some drinking holes by myself. Either that or grab a book and a coffee and head to somewhere like Mrs.Macquarie's chair.

I'm down in Beverly Hills and no transport as yet. Staying with family while we build up enough savings to get our own rental. Just landed a job, start on Wednesday so will be staying with family for a while yet.

Tons of places you can get by train - up to the Blue Mountains for example, easy to hop on a train to Katoomba/Leura. Or down to the south coast. As well as all the places in the city.

I can't swim so beaches aren't much use to me! It's on my list of things to learn!!

Never too late - I learnt to swim as an adult, I never learnt as a kid as I came from a non-swimming family and schools I went to didn't do lessons. Always felt held back and hated it as a teenager/young adult so bit the bullet and sorted myself lessons as an adult. You don't need many - the basics will do. My technique's still crap but I don't care, I can swim up to 1.5km now which is more than enough, and as I have kids now it's a pleasure to teach them and muck about with them in the water; I was determined to break the cycle and it's one of the best things I ever did. Loads of places here do lessons so it's a great opportunity

The other half is out on Saturday so I've decided I'm going to head into the city and check out some drinking holes by myself. Either that or grab a book and a coffee and head to somewhere like Mrs.Macquarie's chair.

You can get to some interesting places by ferry too once you're in town. Watson's Bay for example, "fishing village" is a bit of a euphemism but it's worth a trip. Cockatoo Island also worth a look, or hop over to Manly. Best done on Saturday as on Sunday the ferries are always packed with all the "Family Funday Sunday" cheapskates using them.

Drinking? Rocks (head up the hill for the better pubs IMO, away from George St) or Surry Hills, you can't go far wrong. If you want culture my fave museums are the Observatory (free, small, locely building, lovely location, a handful of interesting exhibits), Museum of Sydney (brilliant archive of photos from bridge construction days etc and about the growth of the city), Powerhouse (great for families) and Art Gallery of NSW. I like the MCA less (tries too hard for me) and the Australian Museum likewise (a bit "meh" if you're expecting the Natural History Museum). There are a million parks as well, some really good ones

There's a series of books, of which this is one:

http://shop.abc.net.au/products/sydneys-best-bush-park-and-city-walks-full-colour-guide-to-over-50-fantastic-walks

- also one on best picnic spots, one on best coastal walks - that are great for exploring the city I think

Forgot to say, if you have any interest in architecture/engineering at all (sorry, blind spot for me as it's my work too) then a tour of the Opera House is a must. The structure of the thing is incredible and some of the interior spaces created by the structure equally superb - concert hall still hits the spot as one of the best of its kind for vision and acoustics 50 years on. Also some of the detailing is superb, the drainage solution for example (yes I know I'm sad). Instead of gutters, gullies and pipes everywhere the whole area around the house has big gaps between the precision made concrete pavers, so the water just drops straight through and is collected underneath, out of sight. A great idea which works brilliantly

Archived