Sunday Times housing article re:Sydney house prices

Fisher1

Hi All

Have just read a piece in the Sunday Times about people leaving the UK because they have been priced out of the first time buyers market here.

One example was a couple who have emmigrate to Oz, who are currently renting a 2 bed flat in Double Bay for aprox £1000 per month. However they are planning to buy a small house in the Sydney suburbs (doesnt specify where) for between 400,000 and 600,000 dollars.

Can someone please tell me which Sydney suburb has houses for sale at this price? Have I got an inflated idea of the cost of property in Sydney? I would have thought the last place to go after being priced out of the market in the UK is Sydney!

Hi All

Have just read a piece in the Sunday Times about people leaving the UK because they have been priced out of the first time buyers market here.

One example was a couple who have emmigrate to Oz, who are currently renting a 2 bed flat in Double Bay for aprox £1000 per month.

In Double Bay, for that money a 2 bed flat must be a right dump. $700+ a week would be more the mark (which is about double what is quoted)

However they are planning to buy a small house in the Sydney suburbs (doesnt specify where) for between 400,000 and 600,000 dollars.

Can someone please tell me which Sydney suburb has houses for sale at this price? Have I got an inflated idea of the cost of property in Sydney? I would have thought the last place to go after being priced out of the market in the UK is Sydney!

Outer suburbs, especially in the west. Plenty of places where you can get houses for the half million mark or so (some of them quite nice suburbs and quite nice houses, just a schlep into the city)

I still don't really think that's cheap though. And I agree if you're priced out of the UK FTB market it would seem bizarre to come here of all places

Thanks for your reply NS pom. I am asking because we may be moving over there in the future and I am trying to get a good idea of property prices - when we were there last November I got the impression (also searching online) that the cost of property around Sydney is much higher than this newspaper feature was implying.

I think the median Sydney house price is currently around $650k.

This means that 50% of houses cost less than $650k. That's an awful lot of houses.

Most people in Sydney are ordinary, wage-earning people living in ordinary suburbs. No different to people living in all the other Australian cities.

Not everyone lives in trendy, harbourside suburbs, despite what you see on TV. :wink:

Archived