is it cheaper to bake!!!!!!!!

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

hi everyone. been on the aldi homepage,and got a bit of a shock at the price of cakes,and sweet treats.BLOODY HELL $9.99 for a cake. anyway we all have a sweet tooth in our house,and i am a really good baker of scones,cakes ect BRAGGING BITCH!!!!!!!!!!LOL.does anyone do alot of home baking over there,are the ingredients cheap or expensive.could not afford to buy ready made,we would be bankrupt in a month!!!!!!!!!any info would be really good.thanks.:notworthy:

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Nichola

The last thing you will want to do over here is bake in the heat. Its too bloody hot to do housework (which is great:jiggy:). You will either be by the pool or at the beach or a barbie :biglaugh: $9.99 is only approx £4 for a cake not that bad if your talking about a big cake not a single one. Hubby had a really sweet tooth before we came here now its the beer :wacko:

Janette

Guest freckles

The cakes here are double the size of ones in the UK ....................and no I dont bake, dont do cooking.........only got a kitchen cos it was in the house .........life is too good here for doing all that mundane stuff......you live here.............spa,beach,eating out awwwwwwwwwwww bliss

Haven't eaten a cake for a while but would think that £4 for a cake is not too bad......there are plenty of independant bakers around selling good value cakes as well!

Guest afiyafifi

Had a look at the aldi web page , the cake you are on about is a gatuex size cake and there about £ 2.99 here in the uk .

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say...

I MAKE ALL MY OWN CAKES AND BISCUITS AND PIZZAS !!!

Hurray for me!

This is because we live in FNQ and the ones in the shops are :-

a. rubbish

b. expensive

c. full of crap

I never used to bake in the UK, everything came direct from Tescos, but you just can't get that sort of quality here (we have Woolworths, Coles and IGA).

The major shock to the system is the price of chocolate, £1 for a Kit Kat at our local servo.

Anyway, I find it cheaper, better, fun to do, not too hot (it's a lot cooler in the house than outside up here) and I know exactly what my kids are eating.

Bread is also very expensive and not a patch on Tescos, we're looking at getting a bread maker.

The difference is of course, in the UK I worked full time, here I can be a full time Mum, plus living on 1 Aussie salary is a lot different to living on 2 London salaries.

No way could we afford to pay $10 for a cake, plus I bet it would be pretty rank.

I havn't costed it all out, but it works for us!

Ax

Guest The Baggo's

Lots of things are more expensive here - an once you are here forget the ££ as you will be earning in $$ - Aldi is also really cheap over here - Coles is quite a bit more expensive!!For a family of 2 adults and 3 kids we spend about $250 pw on food. Chocolate is a big treat for my kids!

Guest koala12

Hi Jonny

I bake here as I enjoy it! I think the old adage 'you get what you pay for' applies in Oz very well as some things aren't cheaper than UK but they are certainly MUCH better quality! Exception to the rule for things that are better than the UK is chocolate...it's crap!Got a new recipe for scones which are THE best ever.....delish hot out of the oven with whipped cream and jam!

Guest FamFive

Well im going for Janette's reply... dont cook - wont cook lol

Go Janette, Go Janette, Go Janette

[ATTACH]451[/ATTACH]

Ellie

:wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Smartline Home Lending

How I wish I could bake cakes!! They just wont rise for me!! Cupcakes however dont seem to have the same problem!

If you want a cheap cake go to Woollies and you can pick them up for about $5. Cheaper if you buy them at the end of the day as they mark them all down.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Edinburgh to Sydney

MRS KEILY

you have me intarested

where is THE CHEESECAKE SHOP ? please say Sydney ??

Gemma

Guest tahe49

This is a really interesting point actually :wideeyed:. If the UK made all the 'rubbish' food more expensive and the healthy options cheaper then maybe 60% of children under 11 wouldn't be overwieght.....

It would certainly help me :yes:

PS how long before someone replies saying that 80% of children in Oz are overweight :biglaugh:

Guest planky

the last time I baked a cake it came out looking like a frisbie, why cook when you can buy I say....lol

must admit i avoid my kitchen for my families sake!!!!!!

Guest Chrissy
Never Mind The Cakes How Much Are The Beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave.

Quite right mate!!

Expensive is the answer (like pretty much everthing) I saw 24 bottles of VB for $45.00!!

Can someone tell me its cheaper???????????????

Archived