Cancelling a signed employment agreement?

pokaser

Hi,

In Australia.... is it possible (or legal) for a company to cancel a signed contract because of some unforeseen delays in the visa application process?

On the signed contract, I was supposed to commence working in Nov 2012. However, due to additional requests made by the Immigration, the visa application process has been delayed. At this stage, I am not quite sure how long it would take more.

Given that, I am getting impatient and worried if the company will cancel my contract and find someone else to fill the position.

So, does anybody know if it is possible (or legally acceptable) to cancel the contract? Or the signed contract does not guarantee anything as I havent started working in the company yet?

Thx in advance!

Just a suggestion, but why not ask your employer what the deal is regarding your contract and the delays to your visa?

The only reason I ask that, is because I signed a contract with my employer in Sydney and he assured me my job placement would remain open no matter how long it took to sort out the paperwork. So even though I signed it last November, I know I have a job to go to.

It might be worth a quick email to your company PA just so you know where you stand.

Thx jasonorange..

Actually, I did ask my employer (both recruitment officer and TA) about my contract.. The answer was.. "dont know yet".. I've been told that it is not a problem "for now" as there is no urgency to fill the position... However, if there is a urgent need, they will probably have to escalate the issue and look for other options... (they didnt tell me what the "other options" are..)

Thx jasonorange..

Actually, I did ask my employer (both recruitment officer and TA) about my contract.. The answer was.. "dont know yet".. I've been told that it is not a problem "for now" as there is no urgency to fill the position... However, if there is a urgent need, they will probably have to escalate the issue and look for other options... (they didnt tell me what the "other options" are..)

In that case...relax.

I know its frustrating waiting but if they haven't cancelled your contract and you've been told its not a problem for now, then you've not got much to worry about.

I presume this post is connected to your other one about medical referrals in which case there's nothing you can do until that gets sorted out.

Maybe give them a poke at the end of March if you haven't heard anything by then.

Archived