Partner Visa

appleosprey

Hi Everyone.

I am new to these forums.

Me and my partner live in the UK. I am Australian and he is Italian. We have lived together for 2 years but we have had seperate addresses. He has his own flat and I have mine which we have in our own names and bills go individually. We keep our seperate bank accounts and we want to move to Australia. I spoke to a migration agent over the phone and she said we will need proof for these 2 years. This makes sense as we dont really have proof. We are very independent and have our own money. Not through my partners choice but I like everything 50/50. Our love is still the same and we are faithful and in a committed relationship.

I can accept this so now we are selling my flat and I am going to move into his flat (at the moment we both live in mine). So now we are going to get all paperwork in our joint names and we can start the period of 12 months from this month. It feels wierd as it feels like we are just playing their game to give them what they want. We ideally want to be in Australia for xmas

This will give us about 10 months together so I was thinking that we could go on a holiday to Australia for 6 months in december then whilst we are on holiday we may decide to live in Australia permanently, if you get my drift. I would never dream of my partner entering on a tourist visa with the intention of living permanently in Aus!

If we decide to live in Aus we would have to apply onshore after 12 months evidence. When we apply I understand that we will have to wait the time required by Australian Immigration to get the visa approved, that is fine but what I want to know is during this time when he would have a bridge visa can we return back to Italy and UK to visit family and friends? I would hate to be stuck in Australia without being able to visit family and friends esp for my partner as he is close to his family in Italy.

We are hoping to move to the Gold Coast (if we decide on our holiday that we want to move) and we would appreciate any help in relation to leaving the country on a bridge visa

Thanks for your help in advance and also for all the advise I have found reading through the forums

Take care

He would get bridging visa a (assuming they don't put a no stay condition on his tourist visa). You can apply for bridging visa b if you want to leave the country. It lasts I think 90 days. However, in theory, the trips out of oz should be 'nessessary'. I have read of people getting hassle and having to show wedding invites etc. I just went in (after about three years in oz without a trip out) and said I was going on holiday to Hong Kong to meet up with my best mate and her little girl. I had no problems.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we may hang out until the visa comes through. What about working on the bridge visa. I know we are supposed to have funds on the bridge visa which we will but won't it be better if he could work whilst waiting? It will save us from depleting our savings.

Hi Everyone.

I am new to these forums.

Me and my partner live in the UK. I am Australian and he is Italian. We have lived together for 2 years but we have had seperate addresses. He has his own flat and I have mine which we have in our own names and bills go individually. We keep our seperate bank accounts and we want to move to Australia. I spoke to a migration agent over the phone and she said we will need proof for these 2 years. This makes sense as we dont really have proof. We are very independent and have our own money. Not through my partners choice but I like everything 50/50. Our love is still the same and we are faithful and in a committed relationship.

I can accept this so now we are selling my flat and I am going to move into his flat (at the moment we both live in mine). So now we are going to get all paperwork in our joint names and we can start the period of 12 months from this month. It feels wierd as it feels like we are just playing their game to give them what they want. We ideally want to be in Australia for xmas

This will give us about 10 months together so I was thinking that we could go on a holiday to Australia for 6 months in december then whilst we are on holiday we may decide to live in Australia permanently, if you get my drift. I would never dream of my partner entering on a tourist visa with the intention of living permanently in Aus!

If we decide to live in Aus we would have to apply onshore after 12 months evidence. When we apply I understand that we will have to wait the time required by Australian Immigration to get the visa approved, that is fine but what I want to know is during this time when he would have a bridge visa can we return back to Italy and UK to visit family and friends? I would hate to be stuck in Australia without being able to visit family and friends esp for my partner as he is close to his family in Italy.

We are hoping to move to the Gold Coast (if we decide on our holiday that we want to move) and we would appreciate any help in relation to leaving the country on a bridge visa

Thanks for your help in advance and also for all the advise I have found reading through the forums

Take care

You don't have to sell your apartment to prove to the immigration you're a genuine couple. You can still keep your apartment and just move in with him and that's it. And after all, being together with somebody doesn't mean you can't have your own possessions.

In general you have to have evidence in four categories (check the Partner migration booklet http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm for more details):

1. financial aspects;

2. the nature of the household;

3. social context of the relationship;

4. the nature of your commitment to each other.

Because you're in de facto relationship (you're not officially married), you need to provide this evidence for all 12 months prior to applying for the visa. At the moment it doesn't seem you have enough evidence, and as you said - you'll have ten months of evidence by Christmas, so you'd need solid evidence for only two more months.

If your partner is between 18 and 30 years old, he could apply for a working holiday visa; that'd be better than an eVisitor visa cause he could work straight away. If not, he can go to Australia for Christmas with you, and then eventually decide to apply for his partner visa. If he applies for a partner visa in Australia, he'd be (automatically) granted a bridging visa A once his eVisitor expires (after three months) and he'd have no work or study restrictions (new regulations since November 2012).

Archived