Buying a house on Briding Visa A

james81

me and my fiancee are currently renting and i have been on a Briding Visa A now for over 9 months whilst my 820/801 visa is assessed. We have found a house and the bank have accepted us for finance. My fiancee is an australian citizen and I am originally from the UK. Does anyone know if its ok for me to be on the title etc with me not being an australian citizen? If its ok for me, who needs to ab advised apart from immigration? Your help would be great.

I meant Bridging visa A, sorry!

Guest GeorgeD
You used to have to get permission from the firb I think it was, but I think they scrapped that a couple of years ago.

The FIRB is still in place as far as I know...I had to get approval from them in July 2011 to buy our house.

www.firb.gov.au

Guest GeorgeD
thanks for the help guys, its an exemption if:Your spouse (married or de facto) is an Australian citizen and the property is being purchased in both names as joint tenants. So i need not apply, one less form to do!

My wife was a PR, not Citizen, so I had to do it. Yes, looks like one less thing for you to do.

For other people's info...the application is free and is almost universally granted if you meet the conditions on the website. If you are living in Oz and want to live in the property then you will be granted it without question. They are also pretty quick. We did ours retrospectively...we had entered into an unconditional contract and then applied for it. If your Lawyer is any good they'll tell you to apply for it before you make an offer on a house...ours didn't and the Estate Agent had never heard of it either!

Archived