Certifying documents for partner visa application

KidA

Hi, I understand that I have to submit with my visa application certified copies of my passport and birth certificate, my partner's passport and birth certificate, and the passports of the people providing statutory declarations.

However, for things like leases, bank statements, correspondence, that we are submitting as evidence, can we just send the originals? Or even uncertified photocopies? Do we get these documents back eventually if we send in originals? I'm only asking as we have a lot of evidence to submit and if we are getting certified copies of everything, it will cost us a fortune.

Does anyone have any idea how much we can reasonably expect to pay for a certified copy of a document in Australia?

Thanks

Guest GeorgeD
Hi, I understand that I have to submit with my visa application certified copies of my passport and birth certificate, my partner's passport and birth certificate, and the passports of the people providing statutory declarations.

However, for things like leases, bank statements, correspondence, that we are submitting as evidence, can we just send the originals? Or even uncertified photocopies? Do we get these documents back eventually if we send in originals? I'm only asking as we have a lot of evidence to submit and if we are getting certified copies of everything, it will cost us a fortune.

Does anyone have any idea how much we can reasonably expect to pay for a certified copy of a document in Australia?

Thanks

Only certify the official stuff like passport, birth cert, etc. Take photocopies of bills and send them. Don't send originals. They don't ask for or want originals. Sign copies yourself...these don't need to be certified by a thrd party

Getting docs certified should be free in Oz...most shopping centres will have a Justice of the Peace service two or three times a week...you queue up and they will certify or witness anything for you...you need to bring your copies yourself, they don't do the photocopying.

So many documents need witnessed/certified in Oz that there are JP services all over the place. They are run as volunteer services free of charge. Lots of occupations can certify things in oz too, so people like doctors/nurses/accoutants/etc who aren't able to do it in the UK can do it in Oz. But JP services are everywhere, especially in shopping centres...it'll be a little desk which pops up in the middle of the shiops every Thursday afternoon or Saturday morning, etc. There's be a queue of people with folders under their arms of docs to be certified.

Check times of the JP service at your local shopping centre by looking up their website. Westfield show theirs online.

Thanks George, that's a great help. I've looked online and there are several voluntary JP services in Adelaide city.

So for documents such as bills and statements, do we just sign and date each page of the photocopy?

I'm only asking as we have a lot of evidence to submit and if we are getting certified copies of everything, it will cost us a fortune.

There is no requirement to drown your case officer in evidence, just enough to prove 12 months defacto (or 3 years if you are going for PR straightaway).

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks George, that's a great help. I've looked online and there are several voluntary JP services in Adelaide city.

So for documents such as bills and statements, do we just sign and date each page of the photocopy?

Yes that'll be fine. You can sign your own statement, but strictly speaking your Stat Decs from friends and family should be witnessed. If they are in Oz, then a JP can do this again free of charge. They need to take some ID, go to the JP, and sign their statement in front of them. They will then sign to say they witnessed the signature. They don't need to see them write the whole statement (it can be typed too), but they should 'witness' their signature. For some reason you don't need this for the sponsor or applicant's statements...probably because you are writing about themselve, not someone else.

Guest GeorgeD
I sent originals of everything but certified copies and pay slips. I just enclosed a prepaid large envelope with my address on it and they sent it all back within a week with a receipt for the visa.

And if by chance the application is lost in the post you don't have your evidence any more and need to try and build it up again from utility companies, banks etc before you can resubmit. Send copies and you still have the originals. They only ask for copies, so play it safe and don't post originals. That's why they don't ask for original Birth Certs/Marriage Cert or Passport...because they can be expensive to replace if lost...hence the certified copy route. DIAC don't ask for originals or certified copies of bills, etc, so just send photocopies...if they needed more official versions they would ask for them!

Archived