IT work in Adelaide

bitza1984

Hi,

Hopefully if my visa is successfull I will be arriving in Adelaide mid october of this year. My partner is Australian and has been living with me in the UK for over three years. Her Uk visa expires in October which is why we have decided to go back to Australia. We have applied for a de-facto visa by post in London.

My background is in IT but would be willing to do any work to get myself sorted with a job.

Does anyone know if there is much IT work in Adelaide? Or know of any other jobs I could do until I get on my feet? Thanks.

B

4/5 years ago when we were researching we found less IT work in Adelaide than any of the other cities, of course things change and your skills are more generic than mine so you probably could get work just not as easily/quickly as you might elsewhere. We spoke to South Australia immigration officers as SA was offering state sponsorship and even they said it was mostly manufacturing and farming. But of course manufacturers need IT support!

4/5 years ago when we were researching we found less IT work in Adelaide than any of the other cities, of course things change and your skills are more generic than mine so you probably could get work just not as easily/quickly as you might elsewhere. We spoke to South Australia immigration officers as SA was offering state sponsorship and even they said it was mostly manufacturing and farming. But of course manufacturers need IT support!

thanks for that info. I've had a look on seek and there seems to be more IT work in Perth.............could be persuaded to go there for the heat lol!

My OH is in IT and found it difficult to get work in Adelaide. He did eventually but the work is not of the same calibre as in the UK. In his field (main frames) the work all seems to be in Sydney and Melbourne. We did know this before we came to Adelaide but took the risk and it did work out in the end. Conversley I have had no trouble getting work in my field of human services.

I think there may be a little bit of work in defence, but mostly Melbourne or Sydney for IT. Brisbane dead in the water. Can't speak for Perth

There definitely is IT work in Perth and I don't think you'd have too much trouble though it has been a bit quiet lately - there is more in Melbourne

Or Sydney though although more competition, if you are good in Perth your career will fly.

The heat is awful though - honest!

There definitely is IT work in Perth and I don't think you'd have too much trouble though it has been a bit quiet lately - there is more in Melbourne

Or Sydney though although more competition, if you are good in Perth your career will fly.

The heat is awful though - honest!

Hi

I just wondered if you know any companies in Perth looking for people in IT at the moment? We got our pr visa's in December.

Thanks in advance :)

Archived