prospective marriage visa - me and partner in uk is it possible?

snufkin

Hi all and thanks in advance for you advice!

My background info: I'm British and my fiance is Australian but living in the UK, we have a long distance relationship here (london - manchester). Even though we want to we are unable to live together as his visa is tied to his job - (he will get permanent residency in october) and I bought a house 3 years ago which I am still renovating.

We have decided that beginning of next year to move to Australia and so have just started the process of getting evidence together for the PMV.

My question is: with us both being in the UK when applying for this Visa will he be able to sponsor me, as he wont have job in Australia? We plan to head out there together once I get the visa, we will be living with his parents initially and he has good job prospects there....any ideas if this will be a problem?

Many thanks

Snufkin xx

I was in the same boat as you quite a few years ago, we applied and were granted our visa no problem, you realise once you are in Australia you need to prove you are in an ongoing relationship after 2 years, if they are happy you will them be granted a residency visa. Have you tried calling Australia House in London, they were so helpful, really honest and helps you work everything out - only problem is are you sure you want to marry an Aussie:))

You will just apply for a spouse visa I think, sponsored by him. Employment is not an issue. I was in the same boat: my wife is an Australian citizen, we met in the UK and I applied for the spouse visa, went without a problem. You will need medical and police checks etc, as well as Australian citizens to support your relationship's genuine status. We have now been in Victoria for 3 years - good luck!

Ah thanks, the answer I was hoping for....how much evidence do we need to provide that we have a relationship for a PMV? Emails, cards, photos tickets of holidays together, and numerous train tickets to visit each other - would that be enough? Along with letters of support although they will have to come from the UK

Guest GeorgeD
Ah thanks, the answer I was hoping for....how much evidence do we need to provide that we have a relationship for a PMV? Emails, cards, photos tickets of holidays together, and numerous train tickets to visit each other - would that be enough? Along with letters of support although they will have to come from the UK

You don't need to prove an awful lot to be honest...joint bills, etc, are more for the married spouse/defacto spouse visas. There's no specific length of time you need to show you have been in a relationship for. It''s not unreasnoable to say you have no joint finances...you are separate at teh moment adn under DIAC's own criteria you aren't a defacto couple. What you ARE claiming is that you are going to get married imminently...so you should also show your intention to marry...have you booked a venue/celebrant/priest/etc? The PMV gives you 9 months from time of grant to enter Oz, get married and then apply for the Spouse Visa. They expect you to show an intention to marry in the near future following grant of the visa.

Good I'm glad to hear that as currently we don't have anything joint, living apart doesn't really allow that. I suppose we could open a bank account together but I don't really see the point other than to provide more evidence!

We have just started to think about the wedding but haven't booked anything yet, I assume that it would be possible to change the date should plans change later or if the Visa isn't granted in time. I guess I need to do more research on that. and its 9 months from the date the visa is granted not from the date you enter australia to get married?

Thanks for your help so far its really useful to hear from people who have been through it, it puts my mind at rest more...the forms and lists seem immense!

Guest GeorgeD

You have 9 months from date of GRANT to do the following:

1 Enter Australia

2 Get married (you can do this in or out of Australia)

3 Apply for a Spouse Visa as a married couple.

If you haven't done these 3 things by 9 months from grant then you can't enter Australia (if you are still offshore.) If you have entered Oz and got married, but don't apply for the Spouse Visa then you have to leave Oz after those 9 months...the PMV only lasts 9 months, at which point you need to have applied for another visa to allow you to remain, or you need to go. So basically...don't get married in the last few days of the 9 months...you'll need some time to get your application together!

If you plan on getting married in Oz, I believe you can get confirmation from a Celebrant that you have procured their services with the exact date to be confirmed (visa dependent) I haven't done the PMV myself, so don't know for sure, sorry.

EDITED to add:

You can of course change your plans...if you told DIAC you were getting married on 14th June in Sydney and ultimately get married on 17th August in the UK, then that's fine...as long as you got married within the 9 months from grant...it's the act of marriage they require you to carry out, the finer details are your choice. One thing you're not allowed to change is the person you are marrying...

EDITED to add:

You can of course change your plans...if you told DIAC you were getting married on 14th June in Sydney and ultimately get married on 17th August in the UK, then that's fine...as long as you got married within the 9 months from grant...it's the act of marriage they require you to carry out, the finer details are your choice. One thing you're not allowed to change is the person you are marrying...

Well that is something I am not planning on changing....

so we can apply for the Visa and get married in the UK rather than in Australia? I got the impression we had to get married in Oz...hmmm may change plans even more now! lol

Guest GeorgeD
Well that is something I am not planning on changing....

so we can apply for the Visa and get married in the UK rather than in Australia? I got the impression we had to get married in Oz...hmmm may change plans even more now! lol

Yes, check page 32 of the Partner Migration Booklet 1. You can get married inside or outside of Australia...

Archived