UK Pensions

patsmb

Have just had a call from the UK re our UK pensions when we return to the UK as recent letters said we would get full UK pensions if we returned ( based on credits gained while in Oz )

I was skeptical about the 'full' bit and asked for clarification which has now been given - we would get full UK pensions now around 107 pound per week BUT any Aussie pension we take to the UK is taken into consideration so the increase on what we receive now is minimal -we would get around 15 pound more than we do now when we go back

Worth a phone call to Newcastle ( loved it that the lady understood my accent ) to get it all clarified if your a retiree

TVP.INTERNATIONALQUERIES@THEPENSIONSERVICE.GSI.GOV.UK

Thats thier email address but they wont give much out via email -have all your details to hand when you ring as in National Insurance number dob height weight and eye colour (LOL)as they do ask questions to establish your identity -luckily a Newcastle lass recognises a Sunderland lasses accent !

We have had many emails from a supervisor in UK and phone calls from UK and not one of them has mentioned credits from working here? How does that work when there is no reciprocal agreement between both countries?

I always understood it as credits up until the recipricol agreement ended in 2001 ( I think it was ), were taken into account.

So all the years you worked in Aus, up until that agreement ended are taken into account.

Dont know but it does unless it goes back to the years before 2001 -we have letters showing we would get full UK pension if we went back but they did not inform us that 'full ' wont be payable because we get Centrelink pensions however the pensions we get now will go up by around 16 quid

Well here's some info that might give food for thought, tho its IS verbal information provided to me today by HM Customs, UK

Although the reciprical arrangement between UK and AUS no longer exists, UK will take into consideration any residency of Australia UPTO 2001 towards UK pension. In other words, I migrated in 1988, so (I was told) that means they will add 13years to my pension entitlement. I worked in UK for around 9years before I migrated. I was told I have 18yrs (not sure how that works), which would normally give me 18/30ths of a pension, but adding the years to 2001 means I would get pretty well damn it a full pension there.

Current UK pension is 110GPB

Archived