DEEP STATE OF DEPRESSION

Guest THE JONEZYS

Guest THE JONEZYS

Had our meds done yesterday and found OH's blood pressure to be through the roof, could be part due to fact house sale fell through AGAIN on wednesday, could have just have been stress on the day. Apart from worrying about the health implications, we now have to get it checked with GP 3 times over next week then GP to write report for panel doc'. Does any one know.....if it remains high could this be a major problem for visa application :?: He has never had BP probs before. Any info gratefully received so I would at least know what to expect if it remains high :cry:

THANX

LESLEY

Lesley,

high blood pressure can be easily treated if it needs to be, however, you may just be right and it's because of the stress. From what I've heard from others, DIMA are only too concerned if it's going to cost them alot of money. All the treatment would be is tablets - no operation or anything.

Get hubs to relax as much as possible before hand - will keep my fingers crossed

Ali x

Guest THE JONEZYS

Thanx Ali, but you know what men are like, he wont even talk about it at the moment. He hasn'y really shown much emotion during the whole process so far i'm the drama queen thats done all the weeping, wailing and stamping of feet he just gets on with things and says

" I'LL GET EXCITED WHEN I'M ON THAT PLANE OUTA HERE"

But I do think this has upset him big time as he put his head round bedroom door before he left this morning to check that we still have critical illness cover in place :!: :!: Now who is being a drama queen.

LESLEY

Guest Nelson

And have you :?: (got critical illness cover), no, all joking apart, you'll be fine, i'm sure. Just tell him to breath deeply and have a radox bath :!:

Lesley,

I know just what you mean, my hubby as been the picture of calmness whilst I've been "what if this... what if that"

I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about - tell him to tell the GP that the visa application is stressful and he may put that on his report that his BP is raised because of the process.

Do you know what his BP reading was? Did the panel Dr. do it twice? the medical forms gave guidelines for blood pressure so you could see how much higher it was - may help to reassure your hubby.

Guest THE JONEZYS
Lesley,

I know just what you mean, my hubby as been the picture of calmness whilst I've been "what if this... what if that"

I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about - tell him to tell the GP that the visa application is stressful and he may put that on his report that his BP is raised because of the process.

Do you know what his BP reading was? Did the panel Dr. do it twice? the medical forms gave guidelines for blood pressure so you could see how much higher it was - may help to reassure your hubby.

BP was 150/100 on both readings she said highest acceptable was 140/90. Perhaps a weekend of me being a dutiful wife and answering to his every whim may cure it dya think :wink:

Lesley

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lesley

Firstly, stop worrying. The worst they will do is insist on Hubby being checked over by a cardiologist. The cardiologists give people a 24 hour bp meter to wear and take the average reading over 24 hours, because apparently bp drops during sleep and rest. This happens to LOADS of people.

Have another look at Form 26. Somewhere on that it tells the Panel Doctor that if BP remains at more than x/y. the PD is to organise a cardiologist's report - which an NHS GP would not normally do in the absence of other symptoms such as chest-pains or referred pain in the arms. (The bit about the cardiologist might be just above where the PD signs the form, or in the bit about cardio-vascular: have to get to work so haven't time to download the form etc right now.)

So it might cause hassle and extra expense, and it might delay matters, but most people respond very well to simple, inexpensive pills for raised BP, and the sooner it is caught and treated, the lesser the risk of serious heart-disease or stroke in later life. Australia has done him a favour by forcing him to get medical treatment for his BP whilst he is still pretty young.

So please try not to worry, and keep us posted about your progress. We're all here to support you through this.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest gazoberg

The normal acceptable levels for BP are 140/90, anything beyond that is consdired high but not necessarily means you have hypertension. Go for the pamering bit but as bizzare as this sounds, get him to do some cardiovascular exercise for at least 40mins a time around 3x a week before you go back, just dont do it the day you go to your GP or it will be sky high again !

if you want to get your BP down you need to exercise, its a naturally way to both combat stress and cardiovascular risks. You release endorphines in your brain which relax you and it improves the oxygen and flow rate of your blood and will help to reduce slightly raised BP.

being a bloke we dont like to be told to watch our diets and exercise etc but he only needs to do it til he gets thru the BP tests. Also make sure he's not rushed in any way before he goes the BP's as that will also cause mild increases in his BP, get there in plenty of time, sit n relax and dont drink any coffee.

All of these things can cause random increases in BP and are really nothing to worry about.

I have to do this as part of my job and if someone has mildy raised bp we normally recommend that 3 repeat blood pressure readings are taken at 5 minute intervals. This gives a much better average and generally helps to discount the 'rush' and pressure factor from a single reading which is known as white coat hypertension. If I were you i'd arrange an appointment with your practice nurse for a check before you arrange one with your GP, they will be able to give you advice on how to lower it should it be raised again (which it probably wont...) before you actually go for a check with your GP.

Guest THE JONEZYS

A BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR POSTS TODAY. THE OH HAS ACTUALLY COME STRAIGHT HOME FROM WORK 2NITE AND INSTEAD OF GOING FOR A "DIRECTORS MEETING" (THE PUB) HAS INSTEAD TAKEN OUR LITTLE BOY SWIMMING SO PERHAPS YESTERDAYS NEWS WASN'T SUCH A BAD THING. I'VE MADE HIM AN APPOINTMENT WITH PRACTISE NURSE FOR MONDAY SO WE WILL JUST HAVE TO GO FROM THERE.

I AM JUST GLAD THAT WE WERE FRONT LOADING MEDS SO THAT HOPEFULLY WE WILL HAVE ANY PROBS SORTED BY THE TIME THEY ARE REQUESTED. STILL JUST GOES TO SHOW DOESNT ALWAYS PAY TO DO AS YOUR TOLD, IF WE HAD LISTENED TO AGENT WE WOULD STILL BE SITTING HERE OBLIVIOUSE TO ANY PROBLEMS.

THANKS AGAIN

LESLEY

Guest dawn298481

Hi, I have just logged onto this site for the first time today and saw your message. This same thing happened to my husband and we were devestated too. Every time my husband went for blood pressure checks it was sky high and he was even put on medication for a while, so we knew that we would struggle with the medical. As you can imagine the pressure was up before we even set foot in the door as we really needed him to pass. He was advised by the private medical team to have a 24hr blood pressure monitor put on to record all readings at regular intervals. This was the best thing we ever did because it took an average of his blood pressure of 24 hours and proved that he was in fact suffering from "white coat syndrome" which is just elevated nerves of being in a medical environment. We had to pay private, of course, but we recieved a full report that we sent off to Adelaide. We waited with baited breath but we were accepted.

Dont give up. You may find that his blood pressure is just because of the stress of it all and when his away from the pressure and relaxed at home it will come down.

Good Luck.

Guest SuzieQ

Hi Lesley,

As all have said, I'm sure it will be fine! Some relaxation techniques b4 seeing Panel Doc again + in meantime the cardio increase and also reduce salt and increase fruit & veg intake! You'll have a new man on your hands & won't be able to keep your hands off him! :oops: :oops:

Good Luck

Suze

Guest THE JONEZYS

Well after a weekend of me not having a single breakdown or tantrum, of saying yes to his every whim (well most of them, there are some things I just wouldn't do, not even for a visa :oops: ) The BP was down to 140/90 tonight. So thats 1 down 2 more good readings to go and I wil be feeling a lot happier. Only problem is, the Doc told him to go away and do all the things that make him happy :wink: I thought that sort of thing was supposed to raise your BP :lol: Oh well we will see.....

Thanks for all your kind words on this matter, its really weird but I have discussed it more with you lot than I have with any of my friends or family.

CHEERS ALL

LESLEY

Lesley,

I think we've all used the forum to off load stuff, knowing that eveyone here will empathise with us as they're going through/or have been through similar stuff.

Keep smiling ... even if it is through gritted teeth, and keep your standards!! Once hubbys BP is back to normal, you can have a little pay back time yourself :wink:

Ali x

Guest david bradley

Leslie, we had meds about two months ago with our friends who are also getting out while you can! He is a chippie and failed his blood presure test the first time, The nurse said i have used the wrong arm band put a bigger arm band on pumped it up and he passed it easy.He spent weeks before this on a no salt intake diet and loads of other crap when there was nothing to worry about!! P.S Iam also a brickie!!

Actually, at my medical the dr. took my BP twice, I have to admit as the last one of us to have the medical I was pretty anxious, but I wear my watch on my right wrist, the Dr. asked me to remove it as he thought it was interferring with the reading - the next one was fine (and I swear my anxiety had increased because they were doing it again).

Ali x x

Guest THE JONEZYS

Thanx Gill/Ali/David,

next check is 2nite so we'll see how he goes. I've managed to get a later appointment for him so he will have a bit more time to recover from his 2 hour drive around the M25 b4 he has it done :twisted: As you can imagine, that journey would raise the BP of the fitest/calmest person, let alone an over worked, underpaid, awaitingvisa bricklayer type :!:

David what part of OZ are you off to :?:

CHEERS ALL

LESLEY

PS I WAS GETTING WORRIED, WITH SO MANY PEOPLE GETTING THEIR VISAS THIS WEEK I THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE NO ONE LEFT TO TALK TO :cry:

Guest THE JONEZYS

Hi all,

glad to say all went well with last two BP checks both 140/80 :D so will be able to collect report from docs on monday to send off to panel docs who will hopefully send them on their merry way to Sydney. Thanx to all for your good wishes, I'm quite sure all that good calma coming our way helped. It has all made us both reasses the situation we are in at the moment though, we have become so wrapped up in this visa affair that we have neglected to live our lives. YES we do want our visa and we do want it NOW but it will be no bloody good to us if one of us drops down dead before we even get to OZ. So in light of this we are going to take a little us time at weekends or whenever. Paul is going clay pigeon shooting tomorow and as much as I shudder at the expense sod it :!: the last payment has been made to the agent, the meds, police check and visa application are all paid for so why not :?:

As for me..... I feel no need to fire a gun at little round discs flying through the air to relax :? just the thought that according to the latest dates from Adelaide we should :roll: hear from a CO in the next couple of weeks. That and the fact that working in education as I do most definatley has its rewards at this time of year, being in the form of six and a half weeks PAID holiday and boy do I need it :!:

So for all of you out there still waiting, especially you Haley, try n chill a little. And if you think the BP is getting a little high FLORA have bought out one of those little yoghurt drinks that is supposed to help but I have found one in a glass bottle that says JACOBS CREEK that works for me :wink:

BEST WISHES

LESLEY

Lesley,

We felt the same earlier in the year and when we went on holiday in April we vowed that we wouldn't speak about Australia or the visa for the full 12 days - we managed to stick to it and actually felt much better for it. We quickly reverted to living and breathing it again once we came home, but you're right we do seem to give up our lives.

Ali

Guest Gollywobbler
Lesley,

We felt the same earlier in the year and when we went on holiday in April we vowed that we wouldn't speak about Australia or the visa for the full 12 days - we managed to stick to it and actually felt much better for it. We quickly reverted to living and breathing it again once we came home, but you're right we do seem to give up our lives.

Ali

Hi Ali

I couldn't agree with you more! Once you get the bit between your teeth and decide to apply for the visa, that becomes the driving force in one's life.

I'm actually wondering whether life ever returns to normal once the bluddy thing has been granted, evidenced, validated etc.

But I guess that what haoppens is a bit like childbirth. Euphoria takes over, the pain is forgotten and so on.

Thank God for the forums, though, where all of us have a common purpose, a common interest and can all help each other in one way or another. Our friends who are not involved with this visa-game ought to thank their stars for the forums as well, because they do prevent us from feeling compelled to gabble neurotically to our friends about a topic that is of zilch interest to themselves!

Right now, I can't imagine being able to return to the normal life that I had before I made the mistake of reading the DIMA website! It ought to have a Government warning on the front page, saying "This website is bad for your health."

Thank goodness for all of you kind-hearted, generous people who are helping to get me through the stress of this visa experiment.

Cheers

Gill

Archived