cat shipping crate

davey1985

Hi everybody,

Planning on moving out to WA this time next year, wanting to take two cats, am going to use an agent for this but wondered if I can make the box/crate they go in so I can personalize it and make it as comfy as possible? Does anyone know if this is allowed? And if so what are the max dimensions and any restrictions etc?

I understand I'd have to use approved wood (was thinking hdf or sterlingboard) and am a joiner so won't be costly to me.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Dear Davey

You definitely can build your own, but there are loads of rules about it - you have to use 12 gauge mesh, at least 16% ventilation round the sides. the cats want enough room to turn/lie down and stand, but not so much room they are thrown around on the plane.

Have a look at our website and you will get some pictures http://www.petairuk.com Our double cat crates are 72cm wide (with a dividing mesh so each compartment is 36cm wide) 46cm high and 56cm deep (all external dims). You can buy one for £120 plus the postage if you like and you can have it at home to get the cats used to it if you like. You do need to use heat treated wood for the frame but we use 12mm plywood.

Hope that helps

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, we originally were waiting for our UK freight and I went out and bought a tv. It looked odd sitting on the floor, so the cat crate came into play. Our massive tv from the UK has now arrived, now the crate and tv are in the bedroom. It could probably do with a lick of paint ;)DSC_2735.jpg

DSC_2735.jpg