Signed, Sealed and Delivered!!

JonnoA

Hi all,

So I had an email from the lawyer...fairly precise and no thrills...simply saying "you are now free to make your arrangements to relocate to Australia"

So, 457 is approved!

Took an hour or so to sink in as I was at work, but having spoken to my boss and the new company, it truly has now!

Im moving to Sydney! Good news.

Plan to be there in early to mid March and have been given a $5k budget for relocation...including flights, shipping and accommodation.

Im assuming that won't go far? But having just received notification of inheritance (about £80k some point over the next few months) I'm not too worried...plus seem to have a good job that will afford me decent living once get going.

Questions are:

- how far will $5k probably go?

- is there an easy and cost effective way to transfer large sums over without getting stung by the exchange rate?

- how has everyone met people in Sydney (going over on my own so will have a fairly bare friends base) and do people here meet up regularly?

Cheers,

Jon

Well flight costs are easy enough to work out,not sure about shipping,it depends how much you're planning to take,a container?A few boxes?As for accomo,use realestate.com.au for rental cost idea's.Are you planning to rent a furnished place or unfurnished?If unfurnished you'll obviously have to use some of your budget on buying stuff.What about a car?Are you planning to buy one?Is that also included in your £5000 budget?

Thanks for the response.

Not looking to get a car initially, ideally looking to live near CBD and work etc. Not £5k though, AU$5k, which appreciate won't go far.

Just really excited to get over now! How did everyone meet new people...was it hard / easy? Gonna have a few friends over there, but imagine I'll still want to branch out into new social circles, meet both expats and locals...

Hi all,

So I had an email from the lawyer...fairly precise and no thrills...simply saying "you are now free to make your arrangements to relocate to Australia"

So, 457 is approved!

Took an hour or so to sink in as I was at work, but having spoken to my boss and the new company, it truly has now!

Plan to be there in early to mid March and have been given a $5k budget for relocation...including flights, shipping and accommodation.

Im assuming that won't go far? But having just received notification of inheritance (about £80k some point over the next few months) I'm not too worried...plus seem to have a good job that will afford me decent living once get going.

Questions are:

- is there an easy and cost effective way to transfer large sums over without getting stung by the exchange rate?

- how has everyone met people in Sydney (going over on my own so will have a fairly bare friends base) and do people here meet up regularly?

Cheers,

Jon

Your $5k won't go far, flight and do you have to pay your own arrival accommodation? It might cover that or some of that if so.

The exchange rate is the exchange rate, you won't be able to avoid it, if you use a broker to exchange money then you wil get a slightly better than average rate.

I expect you will make friends through work and you can also keep an eye out for catch ups on PIO.

Hi Jon,

I'm going through the 457 application process now, where the Visa application was sent in on Wednesday 6th of Feb.

How long did it take for you to get the 457 approval from the time the application was sent in to approval?

Hi all,

So, 457 is approved!

Questions are:

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks Rupert, they are giving me 2 weeks serviced accommodation, which is nice. Also found out my work are going to give me my bonus as we're parting on good terms - so financially that will mean I can pay off all uk debt before I go and live comfortably for a few months even if I weren't receiving a salary! Already looking at going to a few socials and the outpouring from friends and family with introductions in Sydney has been astounding - seems everyone knows a few people I'm Sydney!

Lugee, I started talking to my solicitor on 25 November 2012, but for various reasons I don't fully understand they didn't fully submit my application until 19th December. From there it took 3 weeks to get my employer accepted as a sponsor and I got my Visa on 24th Jan.

interestingly, it only took 2 days once a case worker was signed to it - think a lot of the extra time was due to the solicitor having time away due to the Christmas period and there being some bureaucratic mix ups with the immigration department.

i think, if you officially submitted the application in early feb and your employer is a company who have sponsored before, you should be looking at 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks Jon.

Yeah the company I'm going to have sponsored before and are one of the biggest companies in Australia. The migration agent I'm using has advised 2-3 Weeks too but I was wondering if this was 2-3 Weeks asthat could be the worst case senario or would it be like 5 days, as if so there is a lot for me to do as I could be moving in March.

Think it entirely depends how quickly a case manager is assigned to your application, which in turn depends on the current backlog...imagine there would have been a few aps after Christmas, new year and all that, but hopefully should take 2 weeks if not less...but again, entirely depends how diligent your agent is in managing the process and how quickly someone can look at your case.

good luck!

Archived