another Irish man looking to head down under for 12 months any tips?

tc2011

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me I am planning on heading to Australia on a working holiday visa for 12 months but haven't a clue were to start and was hoping if anyone knew the best sites for me to check out etc. Also does anyone know how much I am required to have in my bank account before entering oz.

If someone could get back to me it would be of great help.

Thanks

Thomas ..

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me I am planning on heading to Australia on a working holiday visa for 12 months but haven't a clue were to start and was hoping if anyone knew the best sites for me to check out etc. Also does anyone know how much I am required to have in my bank account before entering oz.

If someone could get back to me it would be of great help.

Thanks

Thomas ..

I heading out there in september but from what ive read it all depends on the time of year you plan on going spending the summer down south and following the weather north as it cools down south im personally flying into sydney to try ultimate oz the help you get started and you spend a week just hanging out with a bunch of other people doing the same thing your doing and what i read it 5000 au dollars and a return flight or 7000 with a one way could be off though and ive also heard that alot of people dont actually get asked to show your bank statement though im taking the 5000 cause knowing my luck ill be the one to get checked

Think it' $5000, but if and that's a BIG if they ever checked IMO they would only be bothered with the amount it takes to get a flight home, which is considerably less than $5000.

tc, here is one of the best places actually. Have a look through the old threads.

However, its so much easier to save up before you get here than having to be desperately reliant on a job that you may or may not get, when you want to be out enjoying yourself. Seriously save as much as you can!

You generally don't want to be up north for their wet season, which is the southern hemisphere's summer (ie, Now - Nov - April ish time), but rather for the winter, as its nice and warm but dry up there then. You don't want to be down here (south) in the winter (the UK's summer) as its frigging freezing down here then (relatively speaking - and you will acclimatise oh so quickly).

This is a pretty good website to check out lol - lots of help and friendly people :) Depends on what you want to know as to what to check out other than here though - google will be your friend :)

Have fun, it completely rocks here, so much better than the UK :D

Cheers guys for your replies, yea i think it would be best to have $5000 saved up if not more just incase i don't land a job straight away then at least i will know i have something to fall back on until i do. I've came across info on how the weather changes and were its best to be so but it hasn't really been informative as yous so thanks for clearing it up.

Cant wait to head over and start something so different

Thanks again ..

Cheers guys for your replies, yea i think it would be best to have $5000 saved up if not more just incase i don't land a job straight away then at least i will know i have something to fall back on until i do. I've came across info on how the weather changes and were its best to be so but it hasn't really been informative as yous so thanks for clearing it up.

Cant wait to head over and start something so different

Thanks again ..

You'll get a job mate don't worry about that, it takes a few weeks to get over the jet lag, get the lay of the land so to speak. It's nothing like Ireland for work mate, no comparison, loads here.

You'll get a job mate don't worry about that, it takes a few weeks to get over the jet lag, get the lay of the land so to speak. It's nothing like Ireland for work mate, no comparison, loads here.

well thats not entierly true!! what is it with people here thinking that its so much easier here to find a job? i know from experience that leaving ireland or the uk to relocate to australia does not guarantee you will get work.

Cheers digitails, a few weeks for jet lag to pass jeeze lol doesn't sound good that. Ive a decent job at the minute but nothing keeping me here and always wanted to visit so why not go now while im young. Did you do the same mate or you from over there?

well thats not entierly true!! what is it with people here thinking that its so much easier here to find a job? i know from experience that leaving ireland or the uk to relocate to australia does not guarantee you will get work.

You're either very bad at getting jobs (and there's a few of them here) or overly picky. If you want work, you'll find it.

In fact, thinking about it you need your head examined. It's a world of difference, literally.

Cheers digitails, a few weeks for jet lag to pass jeeze lol doesn't sound good that. Ive a decent job at the minute but nothing keeping me here and always wanted to visit so why not go now while im young. Did you do the same mate or you from over there?

From Wales mate, left last April. Had enough of signing on and off and on and off the dole. Still miss the UK but it's a different world over here it really is.

Archived