brisbane prospects for mechanical maintenance fitters

Guest paulwbafc

Guest paulwbafc

Hi. I am currently going thru the TRA part at moment. Me and my family

want to move to Brisbane/surrounding area. Does anyone have any reccomendations where jobs going for machine tool fitters / mechanical maintenance fitters. I have most experience on machine tool and also packaging flow wrap machines / cartoning machines. Also presses, injection moulding equipment, investment casting process etc. Are there any firms that would find this experience useful around brisbane. Expect to be moving next summer. One more crap winter here to enjoy due to in laws 60th in jan and one more footy season. Then will be swapping the blue and white stripes of the baggies for the dayglow orange colours of queensland roar. Always enjoy footy more in the warm sunshine.

Guest Jo & Mark

Hi Paul, we've now completed the TRA and are awaiting news of our 316 pr visa. When we were doing our research into areas, we were told by an agency that Brisbane was the place for engineers at all levels including maintenance fitters so that's where we're concentrating our efforts on now. Baggies eh? We're just down the road in Worcester. Best of luck with your TRA - we'll keep you posted as we find out more. Regards - Mark and Jo

Guest fatpom

You'll have very few problems finding eng maintenance work here in Brizzy. Almost all areas of the suburbs have industrial areas. There's a shortage of engineers especially tradesmen at the moment due to the mines boom (very big dollars but usually in remote areas). I wouldn't recommend that option to a new arrival - can be hard for a local to adjust to.

I work in factory plant upgrades (project mgt) - its hard to get firms to quote unless you're a long standing valued customer.

Make sure you have good documentation showing your quals & experience & you should get work quickly. You could do worse than start to familiarise yourself with (AS) Australian standards, the main eng suppliers websites (Blackwoods etc), OH&S law & if possible local terminology (e.g the first thing I was asked on my first day of work here was "pass the shifter" - translates as pass the adjustable spanner).

Guest paulwbafc

I expect the terminology differences as have had it when changed jobs in uk so bound to get it over there. Are there any companies that use machine tool maintenace or packaging such as flow wrap, cartoner machines, food industry

Guest fatpom

You're right there are differences between jobs as well as regions (NSW/Qld). Its not a drama but you get a double whammy.

There's about a million people in Brisbane. You will find the same diversity of work here as in the UK for a similar sized place - so don't worry provided you're prepared to be flexible. As I said (or implied) companies are turning work away at the moment (due to skills shortages).

Maintenance is probably the largest general sector for trades engineers. The food industry is sizeable because of farming - for example; sugar cane, citrus fruits, olives etc etc. So there is bound to be a packaging industry to support the farming industry. I've worked in a sugar cane allied industry but beyond that I can't say - except to say its seasonal.

Check out http://www.seek.com.au & select the industry sector you want. Its worth keeping an eye on it for trends.

Oh! & try http://www.mycareer.com.au.

Archived