Hostel Work Available in Tasmania

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

We are looking for inquiries from couples, friends or individuals interested in working in exchange for accommodation. Duties vary but include cleaning, reception, night manager. We can provide dorm accommodation in exchange for 2 hours work or private/double accmmodation for 3- 4 hours work per day. We are very flexible & workers are needed ASAP. Would also combine paid plus accommodation for longer hours & right people. Minimum 1 month, longer preferred. These positions will be ongoing so feel free to apply for later in the year also.

http://www.bichenobackpackers.com.au/

Any updates on work? I was looking in the May/June Range

We have been in contact with the hostel - they are really only looking for people to work a couple of hours (or more) a day for a bed, not really a job there unfortunately. If you want a place to stay whilst looking for other work in the area, apparently there is work around as (quote) "all the locals are lazy and don't want to do any work" - although from what was said we thought it was more they just don't want to work for no pay like the hostel wants.

We have been in contact with the hostel - they are really only looking for people to work a couple of hours (or more) a day for a bed, not really a job there unfortunately. If you want a place to stay whilst looking for other work in the area, apparently there is work around as (quote) "all the locals are lazy and don't want to do any work" - although from what was said we thought it was more they just don't want to work for no pay like the hostel wants.

That is a very common in Oz I've noticed. Aussie employers will say locals don't want to work cut scene construction work for 11 hrs more or less non stop for $20 an hour (in Perth) you realise why. Backpackers get used and abused a bit out here by employers.

Aussie citizens can get a whole host of cushy local government numbers, why would they want to slave their guts out in the boiling sun for the equivalent of literally just over minimum wage? Don't blame them for not bothering.

My advice dude if if you are "unskilled" and male, get barista/mixology skills between now and when you arrive. You won't be out of work. If however you have some kind of trade panic not. There's a LOT of work in Oz, but also a LOT of backpackers looking. Partic. since the recession on both sides of the Atlantic.

Fair one.

Yeah some of the "mixologists" are on good money when you figure tips in the bargain, drinking is a big thing in Oz lol. Barista work I don't think is great money but Aussies are big into coffee houses and there are always ads up for that line of work, if nothing else to tie you over and I can think of worse places to spend 8 hrs than surrounded by hot waitresses. Always labouring jobs around but be warned you are liable to get worked into the ground as the turnover and available pool of willing backpackers is huge and the builders know it.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on all this. Much like about any other person, but I am not in a hurry to get a breakneck job, but work is work. Good to know that I will be competing against my fellow traveler to get raked over the coals by contractors.

Any info on getting that certificate you need to bartend? How much/how hard to get??

No worries mate. It's a misconception that there are all these fantastic jobs for travellers waiting here. TBH most of them are crap lol. You are competing not just with other backpackers but with immigrants (including Brits) who have decided not to carry on with their specific profession over here. I know for a fact that some of the women on the main forum get pissed off because they can't get cushy office jobs after they came over on the back of their husbands trade. Such is life.

There are some decent ones the trick is to read between the lines in the adverts and take heed how often a certain business is placing ads for jobs. High turnover - **** job. Rule of thumb with gumtree is first to apply will get, or one of the first but I've found gumtree pretty dodgy for decent work. Too many cowboys on there cos they know all the backpackers are looking.

The RSA, it's about $50 roughly, takes about 30 mins to complete mostly common sense. Don't bother paying for it until you get here mate, some bigger venues will pay for it.

Same as my questions before, trying to figure out what to expect.

I have heard the job market is both bull and bear, so I'll just wait to see for my own eyes. The good thing I have going for me is I am not an idiot and for the most part can figure out when I am getting taken advantage off. One of the benefits of doing this at 30.

Quick side question, you been to the Costco down there? If so, what do you think. I work at the world HQ, in fact am "working" right now.

Mate the job market is booming. I am in WA and if I wanted to I could leave one job and walk into another the next day. May be different in other stated but I reckon Sydney would be the same. My background is construction but I vowed I wouldn't do it over here. If I could be bothered getting back into it my phone would be ringing constantly. Yeah 30 will stand you in good stead, same age as me. Life experience will steer you clear of a lot of the scams other backpackers get suckered into, in fact I was amazed how many were conned in varying degrees until I realised that the average age of backpackers is about 20!

A lot of the time in hostels mate you will have to bite your lip and nod your head as you listen to a bunch of 20 year olds tell you how the world works lol. There are older backpackers here though.

No mate I haven't though there are a lot more supermarkets etc here than in the UK. Every village or suburb has it's own cluster of supermarkets as there is that much disposable income here.

Completely agree, however part of the reason for the trip is to see things from others perspective, so maybe a few of them can teach me a thing or two. In Europe I got slapped for telling a girl I hated her playlist, so I have learned to keep it shut! That is great about the work, save your body, no construction!

How is Perth, everyone I have talked to raves about it. Its the true Aussie experience. Worth a cross country trip?

LOL.

I haven't done the whole sightseeing thing dude, I came here to find employment and in that regard it's more than met my expectations. Perth is very nice, very affluent and good looking women. Would love to see the east coast but have commitments here now. Any more Q's fire me a PM!

Archived