Shipping from Dubai

OZ lander

We shipped some stuff over as unaccompanied baggage with Singapore Airlines (granted we weren’t bringing any furniture with us).

With SA we shipped personal items such as books, ornaments, electronic goods (three large suitcases weighing 75kg in total). Doing this cost less than half the price I'd been quoted by shipping agents and was a much faster service (shipping agents were going to take the stuff by boat).

You have to drop the items yourself at the cargo terminal, fill in the relevant forms etc, go to desk X, pay some cash and get your paperwork stamped, then go to desk Y, pay some cash and get your paperwork stamped…..you know the drill ;-). It took me about 2.5 hours at the cargo terminal to get the three cases 'sent'.

When they arrive at your chosen airport in Oz you have to go to that airport cargo terminal to get them, fill out more forms etc. When my stuff arrived it took 2 hours to retrieve it (would have been more like 30 min if I had not put paintings that were on papyrus in one of the cases, which resulted in us having to go to the quarantine section and have every case opened and all items inspected….They let us keep everything in the end).

If you don’t have any furniture to ship, will live close to an airport in Oz and can spare the time to deal with the import / export and customs forms yourself, sending as unaccompanied baggage may be an option.

I have a couple of friends who have used shipping agents to send stuff from the UAE to the UK without any issues - in case you do want to ship furniture I will find out who they used and will let you know ASAP.

Hi

Could someone please recommend a shipping company they've used from Dubai/Middle East?

We've read some horror stories and would like some real recommendations if possible.

thanks!

When we returned from Dubai to UK in 2002 we used Crown International.

As far as I recall we didn't have any issues and all arrived safely.

Not sure if they were good value or not as the company I was working for paid for it.

As with most shippers I'm sure most have a good experience but a few will have an awful one which then puts others off.

Archived