Claiming points for Qualification (Construction Estimator)

RobinVanPersie

Hi all

I'm just wondering to claim the 15 points for my BSc in Quantity Surveying do I just need to get my qualifications assessed or do I need to prove work experience also?

The assessing body is VETASSESS and I've been thru their website a few times and just get confused about the requirements. I also believe that if you have 3 years experience in the last 10 years I could claim 10 more points. So if to get the Qualification assessed I need to prove work experience would it be easy to claim the other 10 points for work experience?

Thank you for reading.

Is your degree rics accredited if so apply as a quantity surveyor. You need to have experience in either the qualification you have or a closely related profession. Estimating is fine. As a qs this is through aiqs. Vet assess takes ages you will get points if I were you I would see what job is on the skills list and then apply its easier to apply for the skill that's related to your degree and then have a closely related role rather than vice versa.

Sadly my degree is not RICS accredited, so that is why I was applying under a Con. Estimator as it is also on the skills list and I think to apply under a QS you need to be RICS accredited.

How long would VETASSESS take do you know? my WHV expires in August and I have zero preperation done but looking at doing the IELTS asap.

Yeah I have a BSc in QS, it was a 3 year course which had the option of a 4th at another uni in Ireland or in Edinburgh. I decided not to do a 4th year and instead start working in my familys construction company. Here is a quote from the college I studied at about the course:

1. Graduates from this programme may pursue further studies to gain full accreditation from the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI) or the professional body for chartered surveyors worldwide, the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), with Honours and Masters Degrees at other institutes or universities in Ireland or abroad.

2. The level 7 BSc in Quantity Surveying is accredited by the SCSI at technician level.

Bit tricky really as its not fully accredited there is a top up course you can take to get the rics accreditation costs about 1200 Gbp. If its a bsc that's been awarded who is it accredited by? Vet assess is more for trades and construction project managers. There's always an element of risk taking this path and you could end up waiting up to 16 weeks to be declined.

Thanks again Bensdad. The reason I'm going the Estimator route rather than the QS route is because afaik AIQS require the course to be RICS accreddited and I would need a senior QS to sign my papers for proof etc..whereas VETASSESS only need a referal letter from anyone in a senior role/the company owner. (could be wrong)

But again back to my first question, would anyone know if I need my work experience assessed or is it just my degree that needs to be assesed to get the 15 points for a BSc degree?

Just found this on VETASSESS, as Construction Estimator is Group C, am I therfore ruling myself out of 15 points for a degree qualification as group C only requires "Australian Associate Degree, Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Diploma, AQF Advanced Diploma or comparable qualification"

If I get assessed will I only get 10 points for my qualifications or will VETASSESS recgionise that I have a bachelor degree and advise I should get 15 points if successful?

[TABLE=class: blue]

[TR]

[TH]ANZSCO Skill Level[/TH]

[TH]VETASSESS OCCUPATION GROUP[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Skill Level 1 Australian Bachelor or higher degree or comparable qualification[/TD]

[TD]Group A or B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Skill Level 2 Australian Associate Degree, Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Diploma, AQF Advanced Diploma or comparable qualification[/TD]

[TD]Group C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Skill Level 3 AQF Certificate III or AQF Certificate IV or comparable qualification[/TD]

[TD]Group D[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Skill Level 4 AQF Certificate II or AQF Certificate III or comparable qualification [/TD]

[TD]Group F[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi wrussell

AFAIK its conferred by HETAC which is a Irish body, im not 100% on this. Here is a copy and paste from my college about the degree. Hope this helps.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH]National Framework Level[/TH]

[TD] 7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Award Type[/TH]

[TD] Major[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Awarding Body[/TH]

[TD] LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Also would it be possible to hire a migration agent just to help get my skills assessment sorted? As I think I would manage the Skillselect, State Sponsorship and visa lodgement myself (with abit of help from these forums)

Also I'm wondering if I lodge my 190 visa before my WHV expires will I be put on a bridging visa as my WHV expires in mid August 2013? Or is this a seperate application?

Archived