hi. new here.any advice appreciated

adam1827

me and my partner are planning on going to perth end of april. we are going on WHV but are not travelling. we want to get an idea of life living over there. I am a carpenter and my partner is a hairdresser. we plan on getting work A.S.A.P.

we will be bringing about 7-8 thousand GBP with us, after visa and flight costs. would this be a suitable amount?

also we really would like to avoid hostels if possible but surely no body will rent to us if we dont have jobs immediatly? does anybody have any other ideas as for accomodation ???

any comments appreciated thanks

adam

What about helpx?Or Woofing?(google them)"Hosts"advertise for people to work in exchange for free accomo and meals.These are mostly though rural type area's,not usually in a city/suburbs.These are'nt permanant though,only temporary.Could be good though till you get sorted?Just on the edge of caution though,I have heard not all hosts are that "giving"in the way of meals and so forth so you would need to choose carefully.Good luck and hope the moves works out for you.

Personally, I'd go get your 3 months (or 88 days or whatever it is) regional work out the way first and gain that second year WHV. And then look to a city or area you want to spend time in and do so. And then perhaps have 8 or 9 months there and then move on to another place for 6 months or so and live and work. And then have time for a few months travelling at the end (or at some point in the middle) and see Aus.

I suggest this mainly as if you don't go see some of Aus on a WHV and then decide to come back over to live, you probably won't get that many opportunities to do some of those things as you do with the freedom of a WHV and moving round a bit. One city or area isn't all Aus has to offer and you may find you don't like life in say Sydney but love Melbourne. But if you stick it out on Sydney and don't like it, you don't know the rest exists ;)

I think you can get a good feel for a place after 6 months in it. At least enough to know if you like it or not. Give a few places round Aus a try if you can. It varies so much from one side of the country to the other.

Archived