WHV approved. Best time to go Australia and best areas for fruit picking/farming work?

johnlondon

Hey everyone. My WHV was approved on the 17th of January so i have until the 17th of January 2014 to enter Australia. I'm going with a friend but we haven't decided on when to go. We were thinking about going in April or May 2013 or possibly September after the winter. When we get over there we were thinking of completing the 88 days industry specific work straight away, i'd be up for doing fruit picking or working on a farm, i don't mind if its in a isolated area so I can save up a load of money over 3 months. I just have a couple of questions, i would be grateful if anyone can answer.

Question 1. When do you think is the best time to go Australia? Would April and May be a better time to go than September?

Question 2. Where in Australia is best for farm work and fruit picking?

Regards

john

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx if you click on the PDF on the website itll show you what harvest work is available at what time of year, and where abouts. It's a bit of a big PDF but the info is in there. That may help. There is basically harvest work all year round depending on where you go, especially in the NT. It's probably best to go September time as it'll be the start of spring and a lot of things are just coming into season. You can also use that jobsearch website to look for jobs -have a look now and see what they've got going.

Also here is the postcode list for areas that are classed as regional/2nd year qualifying areas http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm so when you apply for jobs see if it falls under these postcodes. tbh even if you go at the right time of year there's always a big chance of not getting the work, there's a fair bit of competition, so if you don't find work quick, see the touristy bits you wanna see and then move on. Even get a non 2nd whv job if you can to tide you over.

Archived