Partner temp and perm visa help!

alavington

Hi all,

My partner and I are starting looking into the visa process, and it's looking good! But I've got a question that I can't seem to find an answer on the IMMI website for, so hoping for some help please.

If I were to be accepted for the partner temp visa, how soon would I have to travel to OZ? I mean, I want to be there, but it does take some time to leave a country, so I wonder if you have to get to OZ in a set time limit?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Hey,

I'm on the 309 temp partner visa and you do have to enter Oz by a specified time which they give you on your grant letter. You have to enter Oz before either your medical or your police check expires (they are valid for 12 months) so whichever you did first I think. I flew to Oz in october and my visa was granted in august, saying that though me and my OH didn't have much to sort out as we don't have kids and we were renting a furnished flat so it was just a case of telling work and packing up a few boxes which we shipped off just after I was granted my visa. They do give you a few months to sort things out at home, so it's not like the visa is granted and you have to leave within a month, also you can, if you have the finances, just come to Oz to validate your visa and then go back to the UK to sort out loose ends.

A key issue with the "must enter by" date (validation date) is that while you can make a request for DIAC to extend it, that must be done before the date the visa is granted. Once the visa is granted, the must enter date cannot be changed or extended, and you're instead left with the option of not entering by the specified date which is a breach of Condition 8504, then requesting a waiver of this after the fact with DIAC which is typically lodged with the same Embassy or post that processed your visa application. If you do end up in this situation, best to notify DIAC when you realise you're not going to be able to enter by the appropriate date and make arrangements to lodge the waiver request afterwards.

Archived