Sydney Public Transport Tickets

MACDONALDO67

OK we will be visiting Sydney later this year and I would be obliged if the local Sydneyites can assist me on transport tickets please?

Can you get all in one tickets that cover train, bus and ferry travel? Looking at doing a trip to Taronga zoo and probably taking a trip down to Cronulla and generally a run about into the city.

Will be staying in the Bondi area so I know the train goes direct to Cronulla from Bondi Jct but to get to the zoo over the water there is a ferry that runs.

Just wondering if there is an all in one ticket for covering all modes for a day, few days or a week?

Looking for the best way of doing it for a family of four and where you buy the tickets from. Noticed on Google Maps some buses don't take money ???

Thanks in advance.

The MyMulti tickets cover all modes of public transport (http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/mymulti-day-pass) on a daily basis.

Buses at stops in the CBD don't take money 0700-1900 each day, plus some services never take money. Tickets are usually available at Post Offices and several convenience stores. The bus stops often tell you where the nearest stockists are, or you can look it up online.

The MyMulti tickets cover all modes of public transport (http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/mymulti-day-pass) on a daily basis.

Buses at stops in the CBD don't take money 0700-1900 each day, plus some services never take money. Tickets are usually available at Post Offices and several convenience stores. The bus stops often tell you where the nearest stockists are, or you can look it up online.

Cheers for that Notts. That's a great help, thank you.

It's a bit of a pest and quite complicated

The MyMulti pass works for all modes but it often doesn't save you much as it's priced quite highly, mainly because it covers everything everywhere including well out of the city. So it's often cheaper to buy individual tickets. Sydney is rolling out a card (Opal) to make life more simple but it won't be in operation by the time you're here. If you're planning on catching ferries, which are expensive, then the Multi pass is usually worthwhile. If it's just a bus journey and a trin journey it probably won't be. The CBD and everything around it (Botanic Gardens, Darling Harbour etc) is walkable anyway

Don't miss out on Sunday travel, when for families the MyMulti effectively drops to $2.50 each - it's called a "Family Funday Sunday" ticket. Because it's so cheap, ferries tend to be packed on Sundays. But the tickets are an absolutely brilliant cheap way of getting out of the city if you fancy a trip up to the Blue Mountains or something

From Bondi to the CBD you're best off catching a bus - tickets as per the previous answer

I'm pretty sure there are tickets for Taronga zoo which include the ferry trip from Circular Quay for a (small) discount. Also there are always discounts on the zoo tickets if you hunt about/book in advance. The ferries are fab and a great experience, so well worth it

It's a bit of a pest and quite complicated

The MyMulti pass works for all modes but it often doesn't save you much as it's priced quite highly, mainly because it covers everything everywhere including well out of the city. So it's often cheaper to buy individual tickets. Sydney is rolling out a card (Opal) to make life more simple but it won't be in operation by the time you're here. If you're planning on catching ferries, which are expensive, then the Multi pass is usually worthwhile. If it's just a bus journey and a trin journey it probably won't be. The CBD and everything around it (Botanic Gardens, Darling Harbour etc) is walkable anyway

Don't miss out on Sunday travel, when for families the MyMulti effectively drops to $2.50 each - it's called a "Family Funday Sunday" ticket. Because it's so cheap, ferries tend to be packed on Sundays. But the tickets are an absolutely brilliant cheap way of getting out of the city if you fancy a trip up to the Blue Mountains or something

From Bondi to the CBD you're best off catching a bus - tickets as per the previous answer

I'm pretty sure there are tickets for Taronga zoo which include the ferry trip from Circular Quay for a (small) discount. Also there are always discounts on the zoo tickets if you hunt about/book in advance. The ferries are fab and a great experience, so well worth it

Noted Northshore. Thanks for that.

I was just perusing the site for the Zoo on the link Notts provided and the cost is $144 for a family and that includes the ferry trip so it may just be worth, like you said, paying for the bus from Bondi to the CBD.

That Sunday Family fare will come in handy. That's the Sunday planned already. My daughter will be 15 by the time we get there so I think she still qualifies for a childs ticket.

Botanic Gardens of course. I'm going to try and do as much as possible in 3 days because the other 9 I want to spend on the beach and the surf, (although my wife doesn't know yet) :biglaugh:

Standard ticket types and fares here:

http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/fares'>http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/fares

Broader stuff here:

http://www.131500.com.au/tickets

Ticket sellers in Bondi from this map:

http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/buy/where-to-buy

If you're staying in Bondi then I'd recommend getting prepay Bus Travelten tickets - adults and concessions for the kids - and using those to get into the city. Individual train tickets for specific destinations. And MyMulti for days you are going to do lots of travel, and/or use ferries

We are staying in an apartment on Hastings Parade and I notice there is a yellow pin to buy tickets at Ben Bucklers Newsagents.

So I take it you can buy single bus tickets from there or do you get them from ticket machines and do they do returns or is it all single trips?

Check the first link on the previous post - bus tickets work in "sections" which makes them a bit arcane as you need to know how many sections you will need beforehand, which as a non-local takes some working out

Your area bus map is here:

http://www.131500.com.au/maps/upload/docs/R9_eastern_region_guide_map.pdf

Most useful route for you probably the 333 from this link:

http://www.sydneybuses.info/routes

It's only on that detailed map that you can see the "sections" - Bondi to the City is 5 sections I think which means a MyBus2 ticket.

Complicated, isn't it? The sooner Sydney gets Opal rolled out, the better. This is why I don't use the buses, by the time you've worked out which route and which ticket you'll need (bearing in mind you usually have to pre-buy the tickets), I can't be arsed. Just walk or cab it instead, depending on distance

PS Worth getting a bus up (or walk if you're feeling energetic) to Watsons Bay and South Head. Some fab views from the Federation cliff walk and South Head itself, Watsons Bay is as close to a village as Sydney gets with a famous (if overrated according to some) resto and a pub which is OK, does OK counter meals for cheaper stuff. Camp Cove a lovely little beach

I must have spent about 3 hours trying to fathom this when I was there! The my multi tickets are pricey but mind you if you are gonna do mutlipe tips or travel across several 'sections' ( I was ready to be blinking sectioned after trying to work that malarkey out....I never did!) they are often cheaper, e.g I travel Dee Why to Crows nest every day if I am lucky then I can get a dorect bus but its the max number of sections so y10 ride ticket would be $36 so all my weekday rides but assuming I never have to change buses (you can change buses and stay on the same ticket but only at specific drop off points) a My Multi1 on the other hand is $42...as many buses as I wish all week....so guess what I buy!!

THe transport system is good an actually I think the multi tickets are as then i dont have to bother about anything its all as the Aussies are so fond of saying 'too easy mate'!

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/content/maximum-taxi-fares-and-charges

$25-$30 from the city to Bondi. Allegedly. Taxis are easy to get, they (cabbies) all whine like milkfloats about how little work there is, too many taxis chasing it etc etc. Like cabbies everywhere, then

I'll be giving them some custom early hours of New Years Day then when I'm trying to get back from the CBD to Bondi after the fireworks.

I must have spent about 3 hours trying to fathom this when I was there! The my multi tickets are pricey but mind you if you are gonna do mutlipe tips or travel across several 'sections' ( I was ready to be blinking sectioned after trying to work that malarkey out....I never did!) they are often cheaper, e.g I travel Dee Why to Crows nest every day if I am lucky then I can get a dorect bus but its the max number of sections so y10 ride ticket would be $36 so all my weekday rides but assuming I never have to change buses (you can change buses and stay on the same ticket but only at specific drop off points) a My Multi1 on the other hand is $42...as many buses as I wish all week....so guess what I buy!!

THe transport system is good an actually I think the multi tickets are as then i dont have to bother about anything its all as the Aussies are so fond of saying 'too easy mate'!

That's a really good point that I'd forgotten, thanks: weekly tickets are pretty good value

E.g a MyMulti2 (this will cover you from city to Bondi and then some) is $52 a week. Which works out miles better value than the daily tickets, and a lot less faff than mucking about with bus "sections"

NSP, smugly living on a train line and not having to use buses very often

:wink:

Something that caught us out was getting off the train for a look at places en route, with only a return ticket.

Something we often do in Manchester is get off somewhere in the middle then hop back on to complete a journey.

You can't do this in Sydney as the turn style (like the tube) will eat your ticket on it's second use regardless of where you are.

We had to buy another ticket from Penrith back from the Blue Mountains and Chatswood Back from Sydney to Roseville.

Family Funday Sunday tickets were brilliant. Cheap day out all over the place.

Archived