189 Queries

cprentice86

Hi

Me and my girlfriend are considering a move to Australia for a bit of a step change in career and the chance for new experiences while we’re still young! Also, you never know we may find a new home.

We wouldn’t be considering applying until after my OH has completed her degree, which should be in about 18 months. I realise that a lot could have changed by then, but I’ve been looking into the process and have a few queries.

I’ve had a look at the points test and it seems we are in the enviable position where both of us would probably qualify for a 189 visa independently: both of us score 75 points (primarily due to age, language and education/experience). Both of us are working in areas that are on the skills shortage lists and we are both working in industries where Australia and the UK have a lot of ties so should be relatively easy to translate qualifications – I’m a Chartered electrical engineer and my OH is two thirds through a PhD in Materials Chemistry.

At first I thought we would have to apply for two different visas (paying the application fee twice!) I’ve now realised that it would make much more sense for one of us to apply with the other as “Partner” – I think this would also boost the points for the application to 80.

My main question is: what is the definition of “Partner” in Australian Immigration law? We are not married but have been living together since May 2010 (and can back this up with mortgage statements, etc).

Also, does the “Partner” have the same full freedom that the main applicant would get with the 189 Visa category? i.e. Are they permanent residents that can work in Australia?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Why didn't you just Google 'What is the definition of 'Partner' in Australian Immigration Law?' It's exactly what I did and a page came up from http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/definitions.htm#index_p

[h=3]Partner[/h]A partner is your spouse or de facto partner (including same-sex partners).

[h=3]Partner category visa[/h]A Prospective Marriage or Partner visa.

You would only need 1 visa application, your girlfriend be best on your application as your defacto partner, which you need to prove that you are in defacto relationship and been living together for 12 months.

Once visa is granted you can live and work anywhere in Australia, there are no restrictions on either visa.

If you partner is not yet finished her PHd depending on if she was ablt to get a positive skills assessment, if you have 75 points, this would be more tan enough to get an invitation as you being primary applicant so your g/f does not need to do skills assessment.