Considering my options

Kelvin Charles

Hello everyone. I would like some information on the following please.

I currently own my own cleaning business with my wife and wondered if there's a market to further expand our business to Oz if we was to move out there. We are in the first steps of looking into moving out the Oz and have a meeting in Leeds at the end of this month with some agents for more advice.

If that was not to work, I also work as a stone mason and I saw that this comes under a skilled trade so I wanted to know how often and easy are these types of jobs to come about please?

You wouldn't need to work as a stone mason even if you did emigrate as one under the skilled migration route. So perhaps the first thing to do is to see if you would qualify, it can get tricky if it is a long time since you did it, you might not pass skills assessment and you might not have enough points.

If you did qualify under this route though, it would be a lot easier than trying to get in as a business. The business visas are very demanding, you would have to have a track record of running a business with very substantial turnover, over a million I think, and you would need to have a plan to create work for Australians too.

Sometimes people wonder about setting up a business and then sponsoring themselves on a 457 visa, but this is getting quite complex and I don't think you would receive the advice you need from amateurs on a forum, you would need professional help with that.

Thank you for this information.

I have so many qualifications but I'm not sure what is recognized or accepted in Oz could you give me an idea please? My plan would involve employing people if I was to take the business over although after speaking with my partner, we are considering keeping the business in the UK and having someone else run it so we still have a constant income from the business. We are booking onto a seminar with experienced agents this month so maybe they could give me further information.

Thank you again.

Sometimes people wonder about setting up a business and then sponsoring themselves on a 457 visa, but this is getting quite complex and I don't think you would receive the advice you need from amateurs on a forum, you would need professional help with that.

You wouldn't need to work as a stone mason even if you did emigrate as one under the skilled migration route. So perhaps the first thing to do is to see if you would qualify, it can get tricky if it is a long time since you did it, you might not pass skills assessment and you might not have enough points.

If you did qualify under this route though, it would be a lot easier than trying to get in as a business. The business visas are very demanding, you would have to have a track record of running a business with very substantial turnover, over a million I think, and you would need to have a plan to create work for Australians too.

Thank you for this information.

I have so many qualifications but I'm not sure what is recognized or accepted in Oz could you give me an idea please? My plan would involve employing people if I was to take the business over although after speaking with my partner, we are considering keeping the business in the UK and having someone else run it so we still have a constant income from the business. We are booking onto a seminar with experienced agents this month so maybe they could give me further information.

Thank you again.

I do not have a list of every qualification in the world and what it might be equivalent to in Australia. This is ok though, because I don't think that is the right approach. The skilled migrant visa process starts with "occupation" not with the qualification. You need to look at the occuption lists, nominate an occupation and then see what the criteria is for that occupation, that is a bit esaier than looking at your qualifications and trying to work out what path to follow, if that makes any sense.

So lets start with Stone Mason, have you found it on the list, if so which one, CSOL or SOL and what is the skills assessing authority?

Are there any other occupations on the list you have worked in?

Ok, Yes I have found stone mason on the list and it is under SOL. The skills assessing authority is TRA. I managed to find a link to it with more info here http://australiaimmigration.org.uk/skills-assessments/trades-workers/stonemasons/ I do have work experience in this trade and currently still working in the trade but no qualifications within it as of yet though.

In regards to other occupations, I have managed to find a few on CSOL in which I have qualifications in but no work experience so would it be wise to forget about them?

My Wife is soon to be qualified within care work for the elderly and also has work experience in this role. From looking on the SOL I am near enough certain hers will come under the following http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/r/registered-nurse-aged-care.htm the only thing she is unsure about is the registered part.

I do not have a list of every qualification in the world and what it might be equivalent to in Australia. This is ok though, because I don't think that is the right approach. The skilled migrant visa process starts with "occupation" not with the qualification. You need to look at the occuption lists, nominate an occupation and then see what the criteria is for that occupation, that is a bit esaier than looking at your qualifications and trying to work out what path to follow, if that makes any sense.

So lets start with Stone Mason, have you found it on the list, if so which one, CSOL or SOL and what is the skills assessing authority?

Are there any other occupations on the list you have worked in?

Archived