309 visa time to process and medicals advice

zeroasylum

Applied for my 309 visa on the 20th December and got my email today from my CO. Not they have said in the letter it will take 8-9 months to process kind of new that it would take that long but have told us not to send medicals and police checks for 3 months from date of application. I have heard cases of sending them in straight away and the visa being processed quickly. It’s just me and my partner so no dependents. Should I wait the 3 months or do it earlier. We hoping to make the move in august but really need visa before then n order to be able to get permits to ship cars and household good.

Thanks

Zeroasylum

I don't think it will make any difference to when you get your medical and police checks done - you're now in the queue, and I think there is very little chance of you getting moved unless there are very very very exceptional circumstances. They'll process you when it is your turn, and you won't get to move further up the queue just because you have done the medical and police check before they require it, from what I have been told. You have only a year from when your medical and police check has been done to enter Australia anyway, so if you do it too soon you run the risk of not having much time from the date of the visa being granted, to activate your visa.

We have just gone through the 309 process, applied July 3rd 2012, was told 5-6 months at that time, our application was decision ready, we even sent the police check early (by accident, we didn't realise we had to wait to be asked), we had 260 pages of evidence, we have a child, etc etc and we were not processed any faster -hubby got his 309 Jan 2nd, so 1 day short of 6 months. I'd just do what they tell you to do. Hope this helps.

Edited by LittleMissWildChild

Anyone with advice :)

this link below might help you - also processing times for spouse visa on this site has lots of good advice. dont know why they would ask you to delay your medical. i have just done mine. hoping for end of may / june to be awarded the visa

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aopvk3Y5mD7HdGp5V2hESFluN3V0QWNBTDg2TWJoLVE#gid=0