Register to Medicare and apply for a TFN, what address to provide?

dredg97

Hi all,

I will move to Perth permanently from February 11th, alone in the first 2 months and when I will have secured a job (hopefully), I will come back to take my family (wife and two babies).

I have a question regarding applying for TFN and registering to Medicare.

I am requested to provide an address where the cards will be physically sent.

I was considering to stay in hostels for the first weeks, is it ok to provide these addresses, assuming that the hostels will give their permission to do so?

Alternatively, is a PO Box ok?

Secondly, may I register my wife and babies and receive their cards as well or should I wait for them to be physically in Australia?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Guest The Pom Queen

Tax File Number I would do now, I am not sure with Medicare as usually all the family on the visa have to be there so you won't be able to add them on now, it's probably something you will have to do when they arrive.

Address I would probably have a PO Box set up.

PO Box is fine for the address, You can add dependents on your medicare as a family card however they probably have to be there as we had to take our passports to be copied. Its no big deal the whole process takes 10 minutes maximum so have them do it when they arrive.

My TFN arrived in 6 days , You can sign up online the day you enter the country.

Tax File Number I would do now, I am not sure with Medicare as usually all the family on the visa have to be there so you won't be able to add them on now, it's probably something you will have to do when they arrive.

Address I would probably have a PO Box set up.

Just so you know you have to physically be in the country before you can do your TFN , I tried to do it from UK 2 weeks before we arrived but you cannot as they link it with your passport.

PO Box is fine for the address, You can add dependents on your medicare as a family card however they probably have to be there as we had to take our passports to be copied. Its no big deal the whole process takes 10 minutes maximum so have them do it when they arrive.

My TFN arrived in 6 days , You can sign up online the day you enter the country.

Hi Kimsdu,

What's the website address to obtain a tax file number please.

Thanks,

Paul

Archived