A question for Midwives...

colettemg123

Hi, I am due to qualify as a midwife next year (all being well). i have bee a RGN for 12 years , and I am unsure about the work experience thing. Can I come to Australia as a newly qualified midwife? Victoria currently states 2 years as a midwife, but is my nursing experience counted or is this directly relating to midwifery practice? Thanks for reading

Hi, I am due to qualify as a midwife next year (all being well). i have bee a RGN for 12 years , and I am unsure about the work experience thing. Can I come to Australia as a newly qualified midwife? Victoria currently states 2 years as a midwife, but is my nursing experience counted or is this directly relating to midwifery practice? Thanks for reading

Hi Colette,

When I arrived here I had been qualified as a midwife for 2 years, but had been employed by a paediatric area. I applied directly to hospitals in the area in which i hoped to work and was offered a 457 Sponsorship Visa. The hospital that offered me the job was then recruiting me based on my entire CV, nursing experience included, so it didn't matter how long I had been a midwife. Your best bet is to drop an email directly to the NUM (Nurse Unit Manager) of any hospitals you would be interested in working at, with a copy of your CV.

I did this and have now been happily employed by a private hospital in the Sydney area for 4 and a half years. I cant imagine going back to the NHS now!

Best of luck!

Carrie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived