What if the house isn't sold?

Guest mccarudd

Guest mccarudd

Hi

supposed to be off in January, sponsored visas etc permitting. Got a question on my house.

I'll be putting it on the market soon. It's in liverpool. Houses in my street tend to take a few motnhs to shift. Has anyone here rented their uk house out while awaiting sale? I think there's a very real possibility that the house won't be sold by Jan, and my wage in OZ won't stretch to keeping up mortgage payments.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this should this happen?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi

If you let the house, you have to do so for a minimum of six months and you have to give the tenant not less than two months notice to quit. Plus you cannot have prospective buyers and agents walking round it disturbing the tenant. I don't know about the rental market in Liverpool but here in the South, it is easier to find a tenant for a year than for six months.

Talk to a reputable lettings agent in your town. See what they suggest. Also consider asking your lender whether they would consider a payment holiday on the mortgage if push comes to shove. They might, because they know they would be repaid out of the proceeds of sale.

Good luck with finding a buyer.

Cheers

Gill

G'day

Yes brother has same dilema on what if house not sold? He and his family also have to activate visas by January and time is drawing closer. They are thinking maybe give power of attorney to solicitor to sign when house does eventually sell.

Anybody else done this? Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers Pozzy

Guest Nelson

We haven't done it yet but, if our house sale falls through, that is exactly our intention... fingers crossed though, that all will be well. We have, however, dropped the price of our house a WHOPPING £30,000 to make damn sure it goes :roll: I'd have time over money any day :!: :!:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

There is no real need to get involved with the cost of having a Power of Attorney drawn up. I have regularly posted Contracts & Transfers overseas for clients to sign and return them to me. It is not a big deal now that there are couriers, very swift airmail services and so on.

Cheers

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jean Davies

Hi my name is Jean and i am going over on a contributory parent temp visa also been trying to sell my house in St.Helens and have reduced it from 121 to 110 thousand and leaving everything in if buyer wants it, getting worried as been on the market since last October and no buyer yet, planning to go December - what to do if does not sell any one know any way around this situation.

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Hiya,

It's gone from worrying about not getting the visa (now got) to worrying about the house not selling. I've had many a sleepless night thinking that other people on the estate will be selling at the same time, will we sell the contents, will we have to reduce the price which will eat into the profit that we will make. Will the cars get sold the list is endless

God only knows what i'll worry about after this......

Guest daisydeeds

Jean, keep your chin up. Someone will buy your house. It just takes one viewing with the right folk, they ll be interested and before you know it you ll be packing everything up.

Daisydeeds

Guest Jean Davies

thanks daisydeeds, thats what i keep thinking and thinking and thinking, only thing to do would be rent till next year but that involves so much hassle and pay out for safety certs etc., will keep doing the lottery thanks for your nice reply. :)

Guest Jean Davies

to Neil Meadowcroft, thanks for your reply Neil, you summed it up exactly, that is the way my mind is at the moment jumping from one thing to another, if it ever gets sorted and i have nothing to think about, i will probably think i have lost my mind as it will be so emply of worry. This emigrating lark is no doddle is it, talk about why,where,when etc.,

Guest nicky m

Just last night i was up at 3am looking at different agents to sell house. Mine has been up since january and has not sold. We have dropped it by ten grand and still nothing - no one even bloody looking.

had a very sleepless night but have booked a new agent to come round next week so hope this helps.

We are awaiting the grant e mail - been told meds have been completed. So if all goes well then we will be going in 5-6 weeks as im being sponsored so need to get there asap and i know for sure it wont have completed by then even if someone wants it tomorrow.

Will let parents have power of attourney - do i have to pay for this ?.

Other half doesnt seem fussed, i do all paperwork and bills etc so he only knows what i tell him. Since he doesnt want me to tell him anything about finances i suppose he doesnt know what he should be worrying about (if u follow me).

Just tells me to stop worrying and 'we havent even got the visa yet'. He hasnt got a clue - he thinks we can sort everything in the final weeks or should i say me. is this a man thing or just my mans thing.

I can totaly sympathise with everyone in the same situation it is sooooo stressful.

Nicky

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nicky

I recommend not bothering with a Power of Attorney. It actually only complicates selling a house - unnecessarily in my long experience of buying and selling houses for clients. I have never, EVER suggested to an overseas client that an Attorney is necessary - because it ruddy well isn't - and I've acted for dozens of clients who have been out of the UK when their houses have been bought for them or sold for them. Your solicitor can be authorised to sign the Contract for you just relying on written authorisation from you. You do have to sign the Transfer yourselves, but a bit of commonsense on your solicitor's part would soon solve that too.

To have a proper Power of Attorney drawn up is quite an expensive business - £200 - £300 minimum if the solicitor is feeling particularly generous - because it involves more work, legal know-how and skill than flogging the house for you requires, as a matter of fact. It can also cause unnecessary delay with the whole thing.

If I were you, I would not bother with the cost and the hassle.

Cheers

Gill[/b]

Guest Alison1967

To have a proper Power of Attorney drawn up is quite an expensive business - £200 - £300 minimum if the solicitor is feeling particularly generous - because it involves more work, legal know-how and skill than flogging the house for you requires, as a matter of fact. It can also cause unnecessary delay with the whole thing.

I did one last week and with vat cost £88.13 but limited it to the house sale so Keith can sign the transfer documents on my behalf as i'm going first.

Is it down south that they charge £200-£300?

Ali

Guest Gollywobbler

I did one last week and with vat cost £88.13 but limited it to the house sale so Keith can sign the transfer documents on my behalf as i'm going first.

Ali

Hi Ali

Keith is the joint owner of the property, is he? The person who asked the question was talking about a different situation, where somebody who is not the owner of the property would be signing the docs, plus it may not suit the people concerned to limit the Power etc etc.

Yes, I am describing prices in the South.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Alison1967

Ali

Hi Ali

Keith is the joint owner of the property, is he? The person who asked the question was talking about a different situation, where somebody who is not the owner of the property would be signing the docs, plus it may not suit the people concerned to limit the Power etc etc.

Yes, I am describing prices in the South.

Cheers

Gill

Yes he is Gill

Couldn't get over the £200-£300 what a rip off.

People on here are really fortunate to get your advice and you are very generous giving it.

Cheers yourself hon

Ali

Guest nicky m
Hi Nicky

I recommend not bothering with a Power of Attorney. It actually only complicates selling a house - unnecessarily in my long experience of buying and selling houses for clients. I have never, EVER suggested to an overseas client that an Attorney is necessary - because it ruddy well isn't - and I've acted for dozens of clients who have been out of the UK when their houses have been bought for them or sold for them. Your solicitor can be authorised to sign the Contract for you just relying on written authorisation from you. You do have to sign the Transfer yourselves, but a bit of commonsense on your solicitor's part would soon solve that too.

If I were you, I would not bother with the cost and the hassle.

Cheers

Gill[/b]

Thanks for that i will phone a few solicitors up on monday and see who is the cheapest at doing what you reccomended.

Have you got some questions that i may need to ask ?

Thanks Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nicky

It's not so much that you need to ask questions. It is more that you need to give crisp, clear Instructions. You will be in Australia by the time your conveyancing is done.

Therefore, can the solicitor agree to sign the Contract on your behalf, please? (No reason why the answer shouldn't be 'Yes.') Secondly, can they arrange for you to sign a blank Transfer before you leave? Again, there's no reason why the answer shouldn't be 'Yes'. Convention is that the buyer's solicitor drafts the Transfer but convention can be varied to suit. That particular one harks back to the days of the quill pen and parchment.

I would take a look at the Deeds (because it is then a five-minute job to know what the Transfer will say.) Some Transfers have to be tailor-made in which case the standard form isn't used.

I have a suggestion for you if you wish, but you'd have to move fairly quickly. Take a look at this link:

http://www.landreg.gov.uk/

That is the Land Register on-line. It will cost you £2 to get the "Deeds" (never mind the technical term) and another £2 to get the Filed Plan. Click on the blue bit at the top right hand side of the page, and give it your full address, including your post code. Tell it you want the Filed Plan as well when that bit comes up (automatically.) Pay it the £4.

Within 5-10 minutes you'll have 2 pdf files, being the Words in one and the Plan in the other as far as I can recall. Please note, everybody, that this version CANNOT - CAN NOT, OK? - be used for conveyancing purposes. However, it is an accurate copy of the version that is used for conveyancing purposes, so it will do perfectly well for your own purposes today.

Nicky, please PM me with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you so that you have mine. E-mail the files to me and I'll take a look and confirm whether or not the Transfer is likely to be bog-standard straightforward and short.

This will cut out some of the agonising going on on this thread, so OK folks! You guys have been very kind to me so I'll do you a free "take a look for you" favour in return if you wish. Get your own documents and let's see where we are.

The Land Register shuts down from midnight on Saturday until 7am on Monday morning - that is when they sort out the computer. Hence the need to move relatively swiftly if you want some of these queries and worries dealt with swift-ish.

Good luck to you all

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again

I forgot to mention that if the house is on a housing estate built within the last 30 or so years, you will likely be offered a copy of the Transfer by the on-line machine. If you are offered the Transfer then you want that as well, making the total bill £6. It is worth spending the extra £2 to get the Full Monty.

I do NOT recommend showing these documents to prospective buyers, by the way. The reason is because it will give them The Clue that they can go to the on-line service and obtain their own copies for £4-£6. In some cases the price that you paid for the land will be shown too, and that is not a piece of information that you want to encourage your buyer to find, I suggest!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Jeez! Why did I ever get led down this path?!

I also forgot to mention that:

1. I don't know whether the Land Register works if the land is in Scotland or indeed anywhere except in England & Wales. It probably doesn't, I think.

2. If the land is in Scotland, the conveyancing system is different and I cannot help with it. I know nothing about Land Law in Scotland. Ditto the Channel Islands. The Isle of Man? Dunno but I wouldn't be willing to comment on land on the IoM because I'm not sure if it counts as England & Wales. The Isle of Wight is OK, however!

Cheers

Gill

Archived