Have just discovered Melbourne to Devonport is not akin to Dover to Calais!

violethaze

So, I was just googling to find out the travel time by ferry between Melbourne and Tasmania so I had an idea of how long my cat would have to be shut up in a cat carrier.... and to my horror found it is a 9-11 hour trip! I seriously thought it would be like jumping on a ferry to Calais from Dover in the UK!

So, now I have to decide if I bring the cat to Tasmania via a long trip in a kennel on the ferry or a short trip on a plane. She is a bengal cat and is VERY loud when she wants to be. I'm a bit soppy about cats, and would like to avoid stressing her too much.

I guess the shorter the journey the better.

I just came across this great blog... thought it might be of interest to others (hope it's ok to post links?)

http://www.settledin.com.au/making-the-big-move-relocating-from-melbourne-to-tasmania/

Edited by violethaze
added link

We flew ours in from Melbourne, no way would I use that ferry, it can be very rough.

We have British Shorthairs, and the flight was very quick, and although they were stressed, it was for a far shorter time than that boat.

We thought the ferry was only a couple of hours, when we looked at coming to Tas, was a shock to us as well;)

PM if you need any more info on Tassie.x

• 2 weeks later...
We flew ours in from Melbourne, no way would I use that ferry, it can be very rough.

We have British Shorthairs, and the flight was very quick, and although they were stressed, it was for a far shorter time than that boat.

We thought the ferry was only a couple of hours, when we looked at coming to Tas, was a shock to us as well;)

PM if you need any more info on Tassie.x

Sapphire... this is probably a dumb question from me... but how much does it cost to send a cat on a plane? If I'm on the same flight is she just part of my luggage, and so no extra cost? what if I'm not on the plane?

Anyone?

Sapphire... this is probably a dumb question from me... but how much does it cost to send a cat on a plane? If I'm on the same flight is she just part of my luggage, and so no extra cost? what if I'm not on the plane?

Anyone?

Hi Violethaze

We flew ours over on the same plane as us, and if I remember,correctly, they were weighed as freight.

We had to take them round to the Freight handling area at Melbourne airport, where they were weighed in thier cages, and had stickers put on the cages.

We then went back round to the terminal and waited to board.

We watched the cats being loaded on to the plane,out of the big windows while we were waiting to board.

It can be a bumpy flight over, but its very short, about 1 hr10 to Hobart, I think.

Now it was 5 years ago, but I seem to recall, our big double cage with 2 cats, was around $80 and the single about $50

The prices might of changed,but hopefully, it wont be much more .

I would phone or call in to the airport , and per-book your cat on.They will be able to tell you exactly where you will need to take your baby when you arrive at the airport, as it might of changed, since we did it all.

Good Luck, if you need any help, just PM me.

PS; You dont have to be on the plane,you can just collect your cat at the animal reception centre at this end.However you will need to arrange to get her to the freight place at Melbourne.

Edited by Sapphire

thanks for this information. really helpful. I'll give the airport a call this weekend to find out what I need to do/take with her. No idea at this stage if I'll be on the flight with her or if my friend will be taking her to the freight place etc. I just bought her carrier today so she can get used to it - I hate putting her through it but as my friend said to me today, she'll just go back to being a cat a day after arriving, so no need to worry too much (doesn't stop me feeling bad that she is going to be stressed out soon).

Thanks for the offer of help too. If anything comes up I'll keep your offer in mind and send you a PM.

She will be fine, mine looked a bit terrified when they landed, then we had a short car journey back to our house, and within 5 minutes of coming out of thier baskets,they were exploring.The next day it was as if we had never put them through all of the quarantine or flights.They were back to thier naughty ways, very quickly:)

I hope everything works out for you, and I wish you and your little girl a very safe journey x