Oz wages/tax/mortgages - help!

Maz

Hi

Can anyone tell me the average wage for a plumber in Melbourne area, also an idea of how much tax is usually paid. I'm confused about mortgage rates, been watching "Wanted down under" tv programme and a butcher was earning 48k ausd and was looking for a mortgage of 400k ausd, is this possible? In UK we can only get a mortagage for approx 3.75% times yearly income. Any advise would be appreciated

~Maz

Guest leanneandmark

I thought that to?? they said there payments were gonna be £1200, :swoon: Thats way to much when your earning £20k . Surely thats all your wage!!!!

Guest John Sydney

Plumbers wages 48k might be the final declared wages after all the deductions - As for mortgages generally speaking you can get a no paperwork loan which means you don't ave to prove how much your earning just tell them that this is what you expect to earn - thus paying off the loan - general rule 10% deposit is considered very good - This means you need about 15% of the purchase price to complete the purchase - the other 5% covers legal stamp duty etc

Guest BullcreekBob

A 400k mortgage on a 48k sound’s like a low document loan

It sounds bl**dy stupid. Hopefully no sane bank, other lender or mortgage broker would touch you with a barge pole. I certainly wouldn't.

Here is some detail on Plumber's salaries in Melbourne which you asked about : Jobs, Careers & Employment @ MyCareer

In summary:

Last 90 days updated weekly

Average Salary Minimum Maximum

Rolling 90 days (01 Nov - 30 Jan) $62,030.72 $54,728.56 $69,332.89

Average Salary Minimum Maximum

Oct - Dec 2007 $64,184.23 $57,732.45 $70,636.00

Source: MyCareer job listings inclusive of wage. Figures may incorporate total pkg.

Tax wise on $62K average wage as mentioned above you would pay about $13,200 in tax and you NEt take home woulf be $48,800 or $9.38.46 per week

Hope this helps and please don't borrow too much.Additional Stress is the last thing you need in your first few years setrtling in over here.

Liam

Hi,

We have recently got a mortgage with only one of us working.

OH is on approx $48k and we had a deposit of $120k. The bank did not have a problem giving us a mortgage for a further $280k to buy our first house( including stamp duty).

I think if you have a decent enough depsoit and an relatively decent income with no other outstanding debts the banks a prepared to offer more than they would initially in the UK.

Hope this helps...

Archived