Citizenship

davidkelly1703

Hi every one, can anyone please help me to get my citizenship. I got my PR(rsms119) 10 feb 2012. I am in australia since 4 year 3 months. I did not travel any country after 10 feb2012 to now. Am I eligible to get citizenship. If yes please send me some links or information of documents. I am looking forward to hear ASAP

Guest GeorgeD

You aren't eligible yet...amongst other things, you need to have been permanent resident for at least 12 months. As you only got PR on 10th Feb 2012, you won't be eligible for Citizenshiip until 10th Feb 2013 at the earliest.

All the info you need is available here:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

On the right hand side of that page is a link to the Residency calculator. Use it to see when you are eligible to apply for Citizenship.

EDIT: Need to type quciker, Rupert beat me to it!

Yes you can apply after February. I applied online in September and recieved a letter in December asking me to sit the test in February. Which I think is a short timeline? Processing after that takes a few months - as far as I am aware.

Although online application isnt very straight forward, they will email/contact you if you're missing anything, and the site allows you to add any documentation you may have missed at a later stage.

All the best.

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks a lot for your reply. So it is clear that I can apply for citizenship after 10feb. Is it alright that I am on 119 rsms? This subclass doesn't affect me or it will. And one more thing do I need a agent or lawyer for apply citizenship.

thank you again rupert and George

You don't need a lawyer generally to apply for Citizenship. Have a read throught he info on the link I posted, there really isn't much mroe to it than that. It's one of the more straightforward thigns you'll do with DIAC! You apply, sit an exam, then go to a cenremony. this can take a few months (sometimes more depending on where you live), but it is all pretty straightforward, assuming you meet the Residency Requirements...from teh link posted previously:

Australian

Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

• 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as

a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian

citizenship

• and

• absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years

prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months

immediately prior to application.

Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent

visa.

If any of the following applied to you in the past 4 years, please telephone

our service centre on 131 880 during business hours to discuss your

circumstances.

• You obtained an e-visa to replace an expired RRV

• You obtained a bridging visa of any type

• You lodged an onshore application for a permanent visa then travelled

overseas on your temporary visa

• You are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV)

your visa subclasss doesn't matter. As long as you have been a Resident of Australia for 4 years, at least 12 months as a Permanent resident, and lives

Guest littlesarah

The website link in Rupert's post (#2) provides all the information you need. I'd have a look there in the first instance, it could save you waiting for a response!

Guest GeorgeD
Dear, were you also holding rsms119. I think I can apply by hand to diac. Is it possible that I can quit my job after apply citizenship. And can I travel to oversease.

Once you are a Citizen you can do whatever you want...you are the same as someone born and brought up in Oz. You are not tied to a particular state, employer, etc. You can go overseas for 40 years and come back to live in Oz if you want.

Dear "justbee" and other one more question could you please send me a list of documents which I need to collect. Can I start my online application now or I have to wait for 10 feb. if you want you can Private Message me. According to you online application is better than other. Thank you

Guest GeorgeD
Dear "justbee" and other one more question could you please send me a list of documents which I need to collect. Can I start my online application now or I have to wait for 10 feb. if you want you can Private Message me. According to you online application is better than other. Thank you

You need to wait until you are eligible before you start your application.

All the info you need is on the website provided on the first few posts. There really isn't much documentation you need to provide compared to applying for a visa in the first place.

Guest GeorgeD

The document checklist is here:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/documents/pid_docs/conferral_checklist/

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the 119 visa. I wouldn't advise you to quit your job without speaking to a Registered Migration Agent for professional advice. Breaching the terms of any visa is not a good idea, and having a Citizenship application underway is different from being a citizen, you still need a valid visa while your application is being processed. Once you apply you go sit a test then you go to a Citizenship Ceremony at your local council. Some councils have people waiting 6 months for this ceremony. You aren't a Citizen until you have done that, so don't quit your job until you have some solid advice from a professional about whether you can remain in the country or not.

Guest GeorgeD
Hi, I need your help. which documents I need for my citizenship. I look every where but can't find. Can any one tell me which documents I need. Thanks

Are you serious? There are 4 posts on this thread giving you a link to the government's citizenship page. The post prior to yours has a link specifically to the page on the Citizenship website which lists the documents you need to Citizenship. Here it is for a second time...THIS IS THE DOCUMENT CHECKLIST YOU HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR REPEATEDLY http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/documents/pid_docs/conferral_checklist/

Have you clicked the link? have you clicked any of the links?? What did you not understand? When it says you need a document to prove your good character and has a link to the form you send off to get this document, what else was it you wanted to know...they tell you EXACTLY what you need, and how to get it.

This is the official resource telling you exactly what you need. Don't worry about what anyone else did right now...I can tell you exactly what they did...they read this list of documents and submitted what's on there.

Go read the link and then if you need any more info or explanation let us know.

HI EVERYONE, HAPPY NEW YEAR! I have a question, what happens if the principal visa holder of an 857 visa is going to apply for citizenship, what is going to happen to her dependent children under 857 too? Principal holder is eligible for citizenship application, God willing, this coming December. Kids will only be here for a year on March...I appreciate your good advice on this issue please... thanks and God bless.

Archived