Moving to Darwin in February

ClaireyD

Hi, I notice not many people post from Darwin, and admit it wasn't always our first choice of an area to go to but that's where the job offers came from so Darwin here we come! Just wanted to know what it's like to live there and how ex pats have settled in. Is it difficult to meet people and why did you choose Darwin? Any info would be much appreciated!

Claire

Hi ClaireyD,

I am not there yet so cannot give you personal experience, however, I have a few friends in Darwin who love it! They are Social Workers (as am I) and they have told me the following: It is quite a transient population but still fairly easy to make friends and a fair number of expats are there. Very hot but manageable, loads of places to visit and things to do. Food etc is pricey but wages more so it balances out. They have been all over Oz and both have decided to stay there for the meantime.

What is is that you do that you are going to Darwin?

I am moving to Oz in September with my husband and daughter and we are considering Qld, SA and NT. Darwin is probably my 3rd choice too but seems to be more SW jobs there at the moment and excellent relocation packages - so may head there for the first 2 years and use holidays etc to explore other parts of Oz and decide where we like best!

Good luck with your move!

Hi ClaireyD,

I am not there yet so cannot give you personal experience, however, I have a few friends in Darwin who love it! They are Social Workers (as am I) and they have told me the following: It is quite a transient population but still fairly easy to make friends and a fair number of expats are there. Very hot but manageable, loads of places to visit and things to do. Food etc is pricey but wages more so it balances out. They have been all over Oz and both have decided to stay there for the meantime.

What is is that you do that you are going to Darwin?

I am moving to Oz in September with my husband and daughter and we are considering Qld, SA and NT. Darwin is probably my 3rd choice too but seems to be more SW jobs there at the moment and excellent relocation packages - so may head there for the first 2 years and use holidays etc to explore other parts of Oz and decide where we like best!

Good luck with your move!

Hi Davo1

Thanks for reply.

We are both mental health nurses.We initially only ever considered Queensland but they seemed to have a job freeze and I made enquiries and Darwin came up first....talk about taking a chance! Anyway, we must be quite unique in that we have already decided we are not emigrating but definitely want to see more of Australia so would like to do 2 years in Darwin (got jobs in the Royal Darwin Hospital), then maybe a couple on the east coast before going to south australia. We plan on retiring in 10 years time and just wanted to 'see what it's like on the other side of the world!' Want to eventually retire in Spain or Gibraltar as we have lived/worked there before. I was happy to hear your friends like it in the NT. We've obviously done loads of research but nothing can beat actually being/living there. Good luck wherever you end up and thanks again!

Claire

Hi Guys,

myself, partner and 2 yr old are arriving into Darwin on the 3rd February and will be living in Winnelli. We would really appreciate it if someone could possibly point us in the direction of local playgroups / outdoor meets for our little boy as we have been trying to find out from the UK but have not had much luck.

Cheers

Ed

I lived there for a few months. Great weather, hot but not too hot in the dry season (27-30) no rain at all. Expensive but not as bad as Perth and the money is good there. Lots and lots of aboriginals, which you can view as a good or bad thing. They don't tend to trouble you stick to themselves though there are a lot there particularly the hospital. Car is essential as main CBD are gets boring quickly. Place is alive with travellers come June until September. Housing expensive and in chronic short supply which will get worse when the massive gas plant opens up there with it's 5000 workers.

Visited Darwin a lot with work and like it. It will be hot and humid in February, be prepared. Darwin City (more like a small town tbh) is really nice and there are a few places around there that are great, housing won't be cheap though. I wouldn't want to live as far out as Palmerston though. When we are there with work we work out at the barracks near Palmerston and go into there for lunch. Not very nice at all and a lot better areas are closer to Darwin.