Architect moving to Melbourne/ Sydney

Drumbos79

Hi

I am 33 years old and looking to move to either Melbourne or Sydney with my wife and 2 year old son and hope to receive a permanent visa in a few months time.

Due to finances I would need to apply and secure a job whilst in the UK and understand that this may be impossible - does anyone have experience of securing work in this profession or similar from the UK? Unemployment levels appear to be low over in Oz but not sure that this will have an effect in securing work.

Finally it would be appreciated if anyone could point me in the direction of finding a copy of the Building Codes and Planning guidelines for either Victoria or NSW.

Any other information or people's experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks

John

I am sure we do have an architect on the forum, but I can't remember who it is ... so just giving this a little bit of a bump in the meantime. I have read about architects (from the user I cannot remember) and unfortunately from what I recall it is not one of those (few) occupations that you can easily find work in whilst still overseas and you might need to rethink that strategy (although worth a go first of all). Anyway hopefully somebody will be along shortly that can be a bit more help than I have been!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also an Architect making the move down under in April. My wife and I are initially moving to Perth to stay with friends until we find a more permanent place to live (hopefully Melbourne or Sydney too). While it would be great to find a job before we leave, the reality is that most employers would prefer to meet you face to face. I have obtained a skilled independent (subclass 175) visa, so this will definitely help (rather than relying on a company or state sponsorship). I registered with one of the main agencies in Melbourne and luckily managed to get a Skype interview and a follow up interview in London. However, I didn't get that job as they needed someone with more commercial experience and - here's the difficult part - someone with local experience. I think this is going to be one of the biggest hurdles - of course, you can't acquire local knowledge without working first!

In terms of the Building Codes of Australia, I haven't yet managed to obtain a copy, so I may have to purchase the PDF versions for download from the ABCB online shop - quite expensive but probably worth it.

Let me know how you get on and feel free to stay in touch - if I obtain a copy of the above I'll let you know (and hopefully visa versa).

Kind regards,

Alex

I am sure we do have an architect on the forum, but I can't remember who it is ... so just giving this a little bit of a bump in the meantime. I have read about architects (from the user I cannot remember) and unfortunately from what I recall it is not one of those (few) occupations that you can easily find work in whilst still overseas and you might need to rethink that strategy (although worth a go first of all). Anyway hopefully somebody will be along shortly that can be a bit more help than I have been!

dianaos

Not seen her around for a while, but a PM might be worth a try

Building sectors are not very strong in either Melbourne or Sydney at the moment I'm afraid but there's still turnover of staff so there are jobs out there - it's just not a red hot market

My Husband is an architect, and secured a sponsored job from the UK, but only on a temp visa. Alot of his former collegues are also in Australia, but not many are actually working as architects. One is in Melbourne getting 15 bucks an hour serving coffee......

• 2 weeks later...
Norfolk Gal, did he secure through an agency or did he contact individual firms?

Thanks

He targeted agencies, but he also came to Melbourne on a reccy, and was offered an interview while he was here, so it was probably just chance, that he was here.

are you applying for a PR visa or hoping to get sponsorship?

Archived