Spousal Exemption Criteria?

Jamie S

Hi All,

My wife and I secured PR visas a few months back, and since then my wife has been offered a GP job in sydney. I'm hoping to secure work once I'm out there (Accountant).

However, it appears that there are some conditions associated with securing medic jobs in sydney (perhaps most major cities), and my wifes offer is subject to being granted a spousal exemption. We take this to mean that I need to be working in Sydney?

Does anyone have any details on what the criteria is for securing this spousal exemption? We figure I can probably just look to try and secure a temp job in the short-term to "activate" my wifes job, and look for a permanent role once I'm earning. Is it that straightforward?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Jamie.

:xmas9:

Any

Hi Jamie,

The spousal exemption refers to her ability to get a Medicare provider number which she will need to work in Australia. I am hoping to get the same and as far as I understand you have to prove that your spouses job/speciality is 'in need' in that area of Australia and therefore you are then granted an exemption to work there also. My husband is also medical which makes it easier for us, I am not sure whether your job would meet that classification in Sydney. Is you wife going through an agency? If so they should help get this sorted for her.

PM me if you think I can help further (we are hoping to move over in the next 6 weeks)

Kitty

Forgot to say that without the exemption your wife can only work in a DWS (district workforce shortage) for GPs which essentially means she can't work in a city centre (see the map on doctor connect website) for 10 years after first arriving.

Hi Jamie,

The spousal exemption refers to her ability to get a Medicare provider number which she will need to work in Australia. I am hoping to get the same and as far as I understand you have to prove that your spouses job/speciality is 'in need' in that area of Australia and therefore you are then granted an exemption to work there also. My husband is also medical which makes it easier for us, I am not sure whether your job would meet that classification in Sydney. Is you wife going through an agency? If so they should help get this sorted for her.

PM me if you think I can help further (we are hoping to move over in the next 6 weeks)

Kitty

Forgot to say that without the exemption your wife can only work in a DWS (district workforce shortage) for GPs which essentially means she can't work in a city centre (see the map on doctor connect website) for 10 years after first arriving.

Good post Kitty, you might be part way to resolving this mystery. But to the but in red, he has a PR visa, he can work wherever he wants.

Thanks for the great post kitty. My wife has been using an agent and we have always been under the impression that as my skill is on the SOL list (I was lead applicant on our PR visa) that provided I get a job that would trigger my wife's exemption for Medicare provider. I know, for instance, that accountants don't generally get state sponsorship in NSW due to sufficient supply. I guess the clarification is whether the fact I'm on the SOL list will prove sufficient. The plot thickens!!

We have asked our agents to clarify further but don't expect a response til the new year now, hence me trying my luck on this forum :)

Any further insight most welcome kitty :xmas12:

Jamie.

• 5 months later...

hi

I need some help regarding spouse exemption

did u finally get it ,

some one told me its not there any more

Hi Jamie,hi

Kitty

Archived