Berwick Primary Schools & Internet

richdownunder

Hi,

We are probably settled on Berwick as a place to move to when we move to Victoria and would appreciate some comments a couple of points:

- We have a daughter who has just turned 7, so is in Y2 in the UK and we would like to hear from anyone that has moved to Berwick with children of a similar age and what school they've gone to and how the settling in/transitional process went.

- I run an online travel business in the UK which I will need to continue to have access to for a period of time after our move prior to the business being sold, so internet connectivity is key. Are there areas of Berwick that I should avoid if I want a relatively high speed connection? If so, what ones are they.

- We've been to Berwick previously and have a good feel of the area, but what would you say are the nicer parts that fall within our budget of $600,000 for a purchase?

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Rich

- We have a daughter who has just turned 7, so is in Y2 in the UK

Hi, I'm sure someonw will be along to help you with your Berwick questions in a sec. We have 2 x 7 year old daughters, it is likely your daughter will be one year behind where she is now when you move, in other words most 7 year olds are in year 1. But don't think she is moving backwards - 4 year old kinder here is like reception in the UK, this is then followed by prep (now called foundation I think) which is like year 1 in the UK etc.

Hope that makes sense.

BB

Guest Weedy Sea Dragon

Hi - my children went to Berwickfields Primary and loved it - I also thought it was excellent. If you are interested in fee paying schools Beaconhills and Hillcrest are also great.

http://www.berwickfieldsps.vic.edu.au/

http://www.beaconhills.vic.edu.au/

http://www.hillcrest.vic.edu.au/

I have other friends who have been happy with other primary schools in Berwick - i think it is often more about what school best suits your child - might be an idea to look around the school first to get a feel for it.

Hope all goes well.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

We are looking at moving to Berwick later this year. Our daughter is 6 years old, 7 in July. We too are keen to understand what the primary schools are like. Both my wife & I will be working from home, dialing into the UK office daily. We also need good braodband connections.

Out house budget is about $550,000.

We have been to Queensland before, but never to Victoria. I would love to hear how your research goes and what you find out.

Please can we keep in touch and share our thoughts

Colette & Daryl

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi there

We are looking at moving to Berwick later this year. Our daughter is 6 years old, 7 in July. We too are keen to understand what the primary schools are like. Both my wife & I will be working from home, dialing into the UK office daily. We also need good braodband connections.

Out house budget is about $550,000.

We have been to Queensland before, but never to Victoria. I would love to hear how your research goes and what you find out.

Please can we keep in touch and share our thoughts

Colette & Daryl

You have some excellent schools to choose from in Berwick, more than any other suburb. Broadband you will be fine in old Berwick, in the new estates just check before you go ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

We are probably settled on Berwick as a place to move to when we move to Victoria and would appreciate some comments a couple of points:

- We have a daughter who has just turned 7, so is in Y2 in the UK and we would like to hear from anyone that has moved to Berwick with children of a similar age and what school they've gone to and how the settling in/transitional process went.

- I run an online travel business in the UK which I will need to continue to have access to for a period of time after our move prior to the business being sold, so internet connectivity is key. Are there areas of Berwick that I should avoid if I want a relatively high speed connection? If so, what ones are they.

- We've been to Berwick previously and have a good feel of the area, but what would you say are the nicer parts that fall within our budget of $600,000 for a purchase?

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Rich

As internet connection is high on your list I would join up with the Whirlpool forum and check out any area you are interested in living in Berwick very carefully. It all depends on the exchange. Wireless is not the way to go if running a business so I would make sure I got ADSL2. I have friends who moved to McCrae on the Mornington Peninsula, he is an Aussie and he did not realise that the internet was going to be a problem. He works for a multinational on line mostly at night and he had problems and had to spend quite a bit of dosh to get good cover for his work.

Its also prudent to check that there is going to be a service available for the property as some exchanges may not have a connection available. As I said Whirlpool is for all things technical and internet.

We have good internet here in Somerville however a friend of mine over in Mornington had to have wireless and it drops out a lot in peak periods.

Unfortunately everyone wants the internet but no one wants the towers.

As has been said newer areas are a bit hit and miss for good internet and homework needs to be done.

Join up with Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of the page and there are quite a few people living in and around Berwick who post there.

Good luck

Hi,

We are a family with 2 children from England and we moved to Berwick in October. Our daughter who will be 7 in June is at Timbarra school and she really like it there. She's actually a year ahead in Year 2 now.

Regarding the Internet connection, I've never noticed any problems.

When are you landing? Let us know... we'll show you the area! In the meantime, if you need any other details, ask away!

Carole

Archived