Transferring to another employer on a 457 - how long does it take for the visa to transfer??

poochibabes

Hi Everyone

I have a job offer to start with a new employer on 21st January. My current employer does not know that I am leaving them at this stage. I have decided to hand in my notice when I return to work on 7th January 2013.

I was wondering, normally how long does it take to transfer a 457 to a new employer - am I looking at days or weeks here? My notice period with my current employer is only 1 week so I thought it was best to tell the migration lawyer to wait until the new year as I can't afford to not be paid anything over the christmas period if it transfers well before then (I was also concerned about the 28 day period in which I have to start with the new employer).

Does anyone have any experiences they could share with me?

Also I am assuming we won't need to do the medicals again? My daughter had to have a medical back in May as she has a hole in her heart - all was fine and she met the health requirements for immigration. I wondered if this too might delay the normal quick turnaround time to transfer a 457.

Thanks xx

No Medicals required, you are in the hands of immigration, it depends how busy they are, so could be days or weeks. Once it cones through you have to resign from your existing employer as your new one becomes responsible for you immediately. You can look at transferring your LAHA.

Thanks for replying Rob - I am in a bit of dilemma really as to when to do it. Would you wait until it has transferred before handing in my notice? But what will happen if it transfers and my employer want me to work my notice?

My partner is also on my 457 so would that mean he would need to not work too?

We have had two friends transfer to different employers 1st one took around 3 weeks but our 2nd friend is having a nightmare for some reason has been waiting over 8 weeks, so it all depends on who you are using & I am pretty sure that the immigration here shut down over the christmas period last year when we needed immigration they were not available for 3 weeks so bear that in mind & check their holiday period out. Good luck hope it gets sorted out & their wives were still working at their current jobs.

I did this last year and the transfer would not be approved longer than 4 weeks before the start date of the new job. From memory I was offered the job in Aug but they didn't want me to start until Oct, the visa transfer took ages but then we enquired and they said they wouldn't approve it until 4 weeks before start date, so it was actually approved about 3 weeks before my start date which just gave me enough time to hand my notice in!!!

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it will be relatively straight forward as the company I am moving to provide 457 regularly and i'm basically moving to do the same job/role. I really hope it doesn't take 8 weeks as i feel like i've been living a lie to my current employer and if i'm honest I'm going to do well to get through the next few weeks before christmas. Has anyone experienced any shorter timeframes i.e. 7 days etc?

Archived