Good place to live within commuting distance to Hawthorn, Melbourne

malaya

Hi, I came over to Aus 18 months ago and live in Tassie. I have just been offered a job in Melbourne working in Hawthorn.

Does anyone have any advice re suburbs to live within a 20 - 30 min commute. We are a family of two with a dog so need to be near open spaces/beach etc. I have looked at St Kilda, Brighton but they are too pricey.

Other places I have seen pet friendly property is Blackburn, Glen Waverley, Cheltenham and Edithvale. Any advice on these areas or others people think may be suitable would be fantastic!

Thanks

Anywhere close to Hawthorn comes into the pricey bracket. Probably could get an apartment but dog would be a problem. Also not close to the beach.

You need to think about transport so if you are not going to be driving you need to look for public transport. http://ptv.vic.gov.au/ is the site you can put your destination in and then work out from it.

Edithvale is a nice suburb but you would have to take a couple of modes of public transport to get to Hawthorn from there. I lived there for 11 years and liked it. Have to drive really to have a more direct route.

Guest chichi12

You should look further East of Hawthorn.

- Blackburn is nice but can be pricey. Leafy area, great for dogs, good schools for kids. Plus Blackburn station would take you into Hawthorn. It's more pricey because the houses are bigger, and it's quite an established area.

- Glen Waverley has great amenities - shopping centre, cafes, lots to do, but it's not on the right trainline. Would take a long time to get to Hawthorn. Don't think about driving there! Melbourne traffic is BAD.

- Burwood might also be an option. Has a chain of reserves for you dog, and closer to Hawthorn and you could take a tram in.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have been over for a quick look around, found I like a few areas such as Burwood, Glen Iris and some of Hawthorn East - but no joy with find a suitable rental just yet. Some I looked at should be condemned!!:-0

Archived