Mudgee

Guest Inge

Hi folks,

Has anybody moved or have any information on Mudgee?

In particular, does anyone have any comments on Mudgee as a location for a family to migrate to?

It is a nice place, nice to visit. I don't know that I would want to live there as I like to have easy access to the cities which you won't have in Mudgee. But that is a personal preference and I don't have a family, as I say, it is nice place. Hopefully someone else will be along with more insightful information shortly.

I really like the place.

I live in Dubbo - soon to move to Walgett. Compared to Walgett it's New York, compared to Sydney it's a nice country town.

I think it's the country town in Australia (that I've personally visited) that's most like a really nice UK country town - Cotswalds type place. I even think the one thing I dislike about it is it could be a bit twee (can't think of any Aussie word to describe it).

Great facilities (awesome new stadium, used for City - Country Origin Games) except for the hospital which is very tired and run down.

What will you be doing for work there?

Thanks both.

I've been offered a local government position and my prospective employers seemed very professional and genuine.

At the same time I've been offered a post in WA on the coast at Bunbury but for $7,000 less. There are pros and cons for both roles, my only reservation with Mudgee is if it can offer the lifestyle and services for us as a family. The job would be ideal, so no worries in that regard. It would be more about finding part time office work for my OH and whether there are parks, swimming pools and alike to keep our 2 year old amused.

Hi folks,

Has anybody moved or have any information on Mudgee?

In particular, does anyone have any comments on Mudgee as a location for a family to migrate to?

We are a family of 5 and moved to Mudgee last year from the NW of England. The place is very family orientated, I work in the coal mines and all my colleagues have lots of young children (one with 5 children under the age of 5!!). If you want close access to the cities or beach life this is not the place for you (min of 3.5 hours drive for beaches or west side of Sydney). Be warned it gets cold in the winter (-5C) but the days are glorious with lots of sun (better than UK winter days). Last summer was a washout here (max 33C) but the locals warn me it can get up to mid 40's !!

Do any of you have any thoughts on the cost of living generally in Mudgee, I know its a popular tourist location because of the wine tours. I've looked at house rentals they appear to be reasonable, so just wondering about general costs. I did notice Mudgee was higher up the list in terms of petrol prices.

Whilst the area looks very scenic, can anyone let me know what sort of facilities there are or activities in or around the area. Wider afield I know its two hours from the Blue Mountains and beyond that Sydney and the Coast.

I'd also be interested if you have any news or comments on child care/nursery experiences in the area.

Cheers,

Do any of you have any thoughts on the cost of living generally in Mudgee, I know its a popular tourist location because of the wine tours. I've looked at house rentals they appear to be reasonable, so just wondering about general costs. I did notice Mudgee was higher up the list in terms of petrol prices.

Whilst the area looks very scenic, can anyone let me know what sort of facilities there are or activities in or around the area. Wider afield I know its two hours from the Blue Mountains and beyond that Sydney and the Coast.

I'd also be interested if you have any news or comments on child care/nursery experiences in the area.

Cheers,

Cost of living initially seems high because you can't help using the current exchange rate to work out the pound equivalent cost but as you will be paid in dollars you eventually start to use the 2.2 rule (this has been mentioned many times on this forum) for comparison. Energy is costly (typ $360 per month for electricity) as the reverse cycle air conditioning (used for heat and cooling) is expensive to run. There are three major supermarkets in town (Coles, Woolworths and Aldi) and you tend to move around all three as they all have different bargains going. With regard to facilities, there is large open air public pool, good cycle routes, gyms, but the nearest cinema is Dubbo (or Bathurst) and a KMart in Orange (2 hrs away).

Can't really comment on child care as youngest is 12 but I have heard there is a long waiting list.

I really like the place.

I live in Dubbo - soon to move to Walgett. Compared to Walgett it's New York, compared to Sydney it's a nice country town.

I think it's the country town in Australia (that I've personally visited) that's most like a really nice UK country town - Cotswalds type place. I even think the one thing I dislike about it is it could be a bit twee (can't think of any Aussie word to describe it).

Great facilities (awesome new stadium, used for City - Country Origin Games) except for the hospital which is very tired and run down.

What will you be doing for work there?

Dubbo to Walgett? Mate I just don't know what to say...........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I live 40 minutes from Mudgee in Rylstone. Originally from Liverpool, UK, migrated 5 years ago. Love it here, a beautiful area. Mudge is a lovely country town. Plenty of schools, good place to eat, shopping no issues. Its' a lovely place for a family. I teach in a local country school and drive to Mudgee each weekend to do my shopping etc. Most of the teachers at my school live in Mudgee too. Where are you coming from?

Caron

• 8 months later...

Hi Caronandrod,

I just spotted your post. I am looking for some info. I am a high school trained teacher, however I have been teaching in a primary for the last 4 years. Currently I teach a stage 3 year 5/6 in South Western Sydney. My husband has secured a new job in Mudgee and he has already started. It looks like we will be relocating in the near future permanently. I will start casual teaching in the area and hopefully get something more reliable as time passes. What is the area like for casual teaching? Any advice?