6 months rental required, what area and what type of accommodation?

Blackhorse

Hi all

(Also posted this on Life in Victoria).

Things are nearly in place for me to move to Oz and start work in Melbourne CBD on a 6 month contract from next February. It may me that I'll be able to extend the contract, but at the moment I have to work on worse case that I need somewhere to live just for 6 months.

I'll be on my own and I reckon I'm looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment/unit. My view on commuting is that anything under an hour each way would be good. The ideal would be that the whole commute could be done on a bike (up to about 25km) or public transport (and either walk, bike or car from home to the local station).

I have furniture and possesions with family in Brisbane. My initial thought was that I would rent a typical unfurnished place for around $300 - $350 per week and move my stuff down from Brisbane. However, I'm wondering if a fully furnished short term let is the thing to go for. Considering that gas/electric/water costs would be included it may be worth the extra money, which will save me having to move my stuff and also I assume I'd have to book a short term let for a couple of weeks while I'll secure an unfurnished place (and the chances of getting one with only a 6 month contract?)

So my questions are:

1. Advice on areas/suburbs to consider? (I'm in my 40s, divorced/single, don't want to be right in the middle of the action, would be happy somehere fairly lively or quiet but either way easy access to meet people/do things etc. Being close to a beach is a nice to have, certainly not a must have).

2. The best way of securing accomodation for a 6 month period.

3. Are house shares/lodgings common and if so the best place to look for them?

Many thanks!

There are quite a few good off-road bike paths that run into the city. You can check out some of the main trails here.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/43879/

The main ones to the city are Moonee Ponds Creek, Main Yarra Trail & Maribyrnong River Trail.

For 3-400/w you should be able to find a 1 bed apartment relatively close to the city. We live in North Melbourne which is a good area. Walkable distance to city (10-15 min) but still relatively quiet by city standards, and has on & off-road bike paths into the city. You might also find something in South Melbourne/Port Melbourne. If you like the beach then this could be a good area. Check out around bay street, or close by South Melbourne Market (best market in Melbourne in my opinion). These places are all along tram routes too which will be a quick 10-20 min hop into the city.

Archived