Parent Visas for Elderly Parents - Advise ?

IslandDreams

We have proudly become Aussie Citizens this year in July and we are now looking at bringing over my parents - dad, aged 83 and mom, aged 79. I am the only child and flying back and forth to South Africa yearly is costly not to mention the worry of being so far away and them not having any support close to them. I have a very supportive and wonderful husband who has suggested we bring them over and convert our one double garage for them into a large bedroom/kitchenette with an en suite. They have never flown over to visit us as they are financially dependent on us - South African pensions are not enough for them to survive on. We would need to take care of them here financially - I believe the non Contributory parent visa (offshore) is the way to go. Does anyone know the costs involved with this? costs of medicals etc as well ? I would need to bare all these costs so really need to look to see if it is something we can take on and afford, especially having a son in high school and a part time job! :-) any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks ever so much all :-):smile:

You probably don't want to go for the non-contributory parent visa, given that the waiting time for that is about 15 years or so. The contributory visa is much more expensive, but has a shorter waiting time. There is an excellent "sticky" thread at the top of the migration issues forum on parent visas where lots of people have lots of experience of the various different options. I suggest you ask there for some help with options

We have proudly become Aussie Citizens this year in July and we are now looking at bringing over my parents - dad, aged 83 and mom, aged 79. I am the only child and flying back and forth to South Africa yearly is costly not to mention the worry of being so far away and them not having any support close to them. I have a very supportive and wonderful husband who has suggested we bring them over and convert our one double garage for them into a large bedroom/kitchenette with an en suite. They have never flown over to visit us as they are financially dependent on us - South African pensions are not enough for them to survive on. We would need to take care of them here financially - I believe the non Contributory parent visa (offshore) is the way to go. Does anyone know the costs involved with this? costs of medicals etc as well ? I would need to bare all these costs so really need to look to see if it is something we can take on and afford, especially having a son in high school and a part time job! :-) any advise would be really appreciated. Thanks ever so much all :-):smile:

Step 1. Find a spare $100 000 +.

Step 2. If you do not care for step 1, consult a registered migration agent who might be able to advise how to defer part of the amount mentioned in step 1.