New DIMA website - Ease of Use?

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

I have just had a quick look at DIMA's New. Improved Website in relation to Parent and Contributory Parent visas.

It's a bit back to front, in my view. The only way I could find to get into the parent stuff was via telling the website's search engine to look for each of the exact visa sub-classes, quoting the numbers. You have to do quite a lot of hunting around to find Booklet 3. Without that, you wouldn't have a clue which visa sub-class you might want!

As a way of telling people, "Parents are not a priority in our own scheme of things," the New, Improved Website definitely succeeds!

Once you understand all the criteria for parent visas, the new website is definitely less bitty, wordy and difficult to follow than the old version. However, once you already understand all the criteria, you would have no further need for website in any event. It's a pity they didn't get a few people in off the street and tell them, "You want a Parent visa for the purposes of this experiment. Play with the website and tell us what you think. Is the stuff easy to find? Do you understand all the criteria for it?" And so on!

On the plus side, the new website does get rid of the contradictions and confusions created by the old one in relation to the Balance of Family test, particularly with regrd to step-children (which question was a thorn in my own side on my mother's behalf for quite a while last year and in years before that.)

I'm relieved not to be starting from scratch today, though. I'd be interested to know what others think about this and other visa-types.

Cheers

Gill

Archived