Tim - Strange e-mail

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tim

I have just had a strange e-mail, purportedly from Poms in Oz, headed "Contact@pomsinoz - Back Online!" Reading it in the preview-pane, it said, "If this e-mail is spam, please notify the webmaster at Poms in Oz."

Well - why would you send me an e-mail suggesting that it might be spam? Something doesn't compute, so I deleted it. I felt that was safer than trying to query it via clicking on the e-mail address given in the e-mail.

Puzzled.

Gill

Hi Gill,

Tis was from me! However it was the buletin board software that inserted the top bit.

Not getting too technical - Its to do with the way that robots can use email addresses for spam. I'm sure many people have been unlucky to get email purporting to be from hotmail, ebay etc, these are not from those sites but just spoofed. Being and american product, i think this forum software that I use does this to protect the webmaster i.e. from american style litigation.

I hope this makes sense! :?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Tis was from me! However it was the buletin board software that inserted the top bit.

Not getting too technical - Its to do with the way that robots can use email addresses for spam. I'm sure many people have been unlucky to get email purporting to be from hotmail, ebay etc, these are not from those sites but just spoofed. Being and american product, i think this forum software that I use does this to protect the webmaster i.e. from american style litigation.

I hope this makes sense! :?

Hi Tim

Yep! It makes perfect sense, thanks! :)

Ta

Gill

Archived