Watch a game?

afterbang

Hi, we will be validating our visa in December :) First visit to Canberra so quite curious! To my knowledge the rugby season is over (?) but we would love to watch a game of rugby or footy while we're there. Any suggestions what or where to watch some sports and support the local team?

(as being from the Netherlands I might be wrong on the terms rugby, footy etc... Quite confusing sometimes)

Thanks!

Michael

Thanks, is any of this on in December? Maybe not a championship but a friendly/test match or something similar?

No, it's the middle of summer and hot

Damn, goning to one of the coldest places in OZ, and no game because it is too hot ;)

Far colder places in Oz than here. 4 distinct seasons and summer can be hot, no humidity though thank god

Just joking ;) We've signed up for Canberra so no need to defend it to me ;)

But it is almost natural, just came back from a get together of Dutch immigrants and they told me, you don't have to defend Canberra, we respect your choice. So looks like I'm already into 'defend Canberra' modus before I even got to the place. How weird is that ;)

Edited by afterbang

Just joking ;) We've signed up for Canberra so no need to defend it to me ;)

But it is almost natural, just came back from a get together of Dutch immigrants and they told me, you don't have to defend Canberra, we respect your choice. So looks like I'm already into 'defend Canberra' modus before I even got to the place. How weird is that ;)

doesn't need 'defending' it's better in just about anything you can name that matters. Federal Govt politicians, and the diplomatic corp have seen to that over many decades. A bit too popular these days, and consequently hellish real estate prices (and fuel) but that's the price you pay. Remember, nearly everybody in the ACT comes from somewhere else, which makes for an interesting dynamic. Other places I've lived in Oz seem boring in comparison, but nearly everything is hidden away by the natives, so most see none of it.

rollerderby ? (scratching his head) Had to look at the site and search for "what is rollerderby" But hey, sounds like fun ;)

And Cricket, sounds like, errr, somethin different also! Really not a continental sport, but because of that interessting to watch. Also to watch the audience and meet locals. Thanks people!

pick your cricket carefully, if you're not used to it. take someone with you that can explain it! I find shorter games are more interesting to the uninitiated.

rollerderby is a bit, well, mad. we went to watch a match back in July, and we spent the first half hour going 'what on earth is going on', but it got quite exciting once we'd figured it out :) take a cushion though, the bleacher-seats in the halls are pretty hard!

hahaha, was imagining us, sitting on the grandstand, no clue why all these guys keep running back and forth, throwing balls in a very peculiar way trying to hit a very unstable wooden thingie. And that for hours and hours ;)

You all probably read Bill Bryson's book about Australia. I can remember the part how he is describing a cricket match while listening to the radio in his car. Somewhere between Canberra and Adelaide if I'm correct. Great stuff for non cricketers as myself ;)

Yes, I'm looking forward to a (at least a part) of a game :D

Good one, mate.

I always get a giggle when the Canberra cricket ground is mentioned...It is Manuka (pr. MARnaKA) named after the tree (pr manUKA):laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Spot on!

• 2 weeks later...
Damn, goning to one of the coldest places in OZ, and no game because it is too hot ;)

The A-League national football (soccer) competition is held over the summer but unfortunately Canberra has no team. If visiting Sydney or surrounds there are a numbers of teams you could watch but you may have seen enough football already :)

Edited by fish.01