5 days in Darwin!

Kitty33

Thinking of moving there for a year or so, going to check it out for the first time next week and just wondered what you would recommend seeing? I like the idea of seeing some jumping crocodiles and markets but not sure which are the best?! Also have to devote 2 days to work related paperwork :( so only really 3 days of fun, any advice appreciated,

Thank you x

Mindil Beach market for sure. It is an evening market so should not infringe on your daytime paperwork activities. Watch the sunset from Mindil Beach. Try and get out to Litchfield National Park. Bring your cossie with you so that you can go for a swim there. We were there a few weeks ago. With the limited time you have, it may be best booking tours to see the jumping crocs, or Kakadu National Park. There is a croc farm in Darwin, but it is not as spectacular as seeing the crocs come up out of the water lunging for the food. If the boat is crowded, park yourself on the lower level, below where the guy is dangling the food, and the croc goes right up in front of you. A much better view than trying to see from the top deck where everyone is crowding the rail to see. You can do it yourself if you have a hire car, but be aware that Kakadu is a full days outing. (250k each way) Litchfield is best part of a day if you stop off to see things on the way such as the termite mounds. Go for an evening meal of barramundi and chips on the Darwin Wharf. Go for a swim in the outdoor wave pool.

Don't stay in hidden valley - the sand flies ate me alive and I later found out this area is rife for them apparently.

Ditto the mindl markets, they are super fab.

The shopping mall is good as its air conditioned LOL.

We prefered Litchfield to Kakadu, but that's just us I think.

Just re-read that and it sounds like I mean the sand flies at mindl markets are bad as well- that wasn't what my stupid brain meant, I meant ditto on what others have said about it btw. To confirm - the markets are not infested with bitey things ( apart from the odd angry ant) and are a must do (many times for us, the food is nom nom). Sorry if that confused anyone or gave the wrong impression :)

Archived