Citizenship residence requirement

Umar Sharif

Hi,

I got my immigration on visa class 176. Need clarification on the points below

• As this is a SA state sponsor visa so if i get a job in any other state how this will impact my citizenship requirement
  • My first entry to australia was in June 2012 and stayed for almost 1 month. Now to complete my 4 years for citizen ship for how long can i stay outside australia. I read somewhere that i can stay maximum of 12 months in the first 3 years and maximum of 90 days in the last year. How this 12 months duration for the first 3 years is counted? My clock already started from my first entry?
  • Last question is if i cannot complete my 4 years during my first 5 years visa which i have now then after i get extension of visa the time i have spent in australia during the first 5 years visa will be added or i have to start the clock again

regards

On the day you apply for citizenship, they will look at the four years leading up to that day. You have to have been resident in Australia, with a total of up to 12 months outside the country, of which no more than three months can be in the last year.

You can count your four years from the day you arrive in Australia to live permanently (just visiting/validating the visa doesn't count). So you'll need evidence such as long term rentals/tax file numbers/medicare registration etc. They don't care what visa you're on (other than tourist visas/some bridging visas), provided at least the last year has been on a permanent residency visa.

thanks a lot for your reply.

Kindly also guide me on my other two questions

• As this is a SA state sponsor visa so if i get a job in any other state how this will impact my citizenship requirement
  • Last question is if i cannot complete my 4 years during my first 5 years visa which i have now then after i get extension of visa the time i have spent in australia during the first 5 years visa will be added or i have to start the clock again

Guest GeorgeD
thanks a lot for your reply.

Kindly also guide me on my other two questions

I don't know how getting a job in another state will impact on your state sponsorship (I don't know anything about SS!), but it will have absolutely zero bearing on Citizenship. As long as you are still in Oz it doesn't matter which state you are in for it to count towards Citizenship residency Requirements.

Don't worry about the first 5 years and not completing 4 years...the two aren't related in any way. It's as RockDr said, DIAC look at the 4 years prior to the day you apply for Citizenship and see where you have been. If this was in the first 5 years, second 5 years, or both, it really doesn't matter as it still has no bearing, you need to have been out of Oz for no more than a total of 12 months in the 4 years prior to applying for Citizenship.

You can be PR for many, many years if you need to, and every 5 years you can chose to apply for a RRV to allow you to come and go if you want...or you can live in Oz as a PR and never apply for Citizenship or a RRV, as long as you don't want to leave and come back!