EFL Qualifications

Guest Greg Shelley

Guest Greg Shelley

Hi,

Does anybody know for sure whether British Council recognised English language teaching qualifications are recognised in Oz?

My family have all our residency visas now and are ready to go but I'd like to get work sorted out in advance. So if anyone can tell me if there is an organisation in Oz that can have a look at my qualifications and tell me if they are valid I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Greg

• 1 month later...
Guest spray21

It will almost certainly depend on who you intend to work for - which state, and for government schools or private. Your best bet would be to contact a few employers who you might be interested in working for and ask what they think. Also see if you can get an answer from an official state education person. If you are going to use existing British qualifications then you will need all your paperwork and certificates for everything you have done.

Good luck with it!

Guest Greg Shelley

Hi spray21,

thanks for your advice. Trades recognition in Adelaide don't recognise British Council recognised EFL/ESOL quals, but a lot of the language centres do, so like you say it's probably a case of just ringing around.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I have a CELTA cert which I obtained (2002) in Australia for some Sth American sojourns (I'm a purchasing contract mgr normally). The law then was, that the certificate could only be used overseas. If you wanted to use it in Oz you must have a degree in linguistics, or a Masters. You can fast track the Masters (turning it into a 9mths long program) but before you can do this you must have a certifiable Statement of Hours from practicle language teaching overseas and it must add up to at least 200 hrs.

The only other way to teach EFL in Oz with just a certificate is to work for a non certified language school here but that means that you will only be able to teach verbal skills and will not be able to document your hours. Even if you're fully qualified to teach EFL nobody does here as the money is very poor.

Guest spray21

IanL - do you mean you have to have a masters/degree to work in an ordinary school? (I mean a 'proper' school rather than a specific language school/college?) It seems strange that a TEFL/CELTA would not be accepted in Australia - I'm sure I know of people who have used those certificates out there.

I agree about the poor wages though - I think on the whole TEFL is more of a gap-year pocket money job rather than a career, for most people any way.

Spray21,

As far as I know (knew) you would need a full teaching degree to work in any 'proper' school. Possibly a TEFL/CELTA with the afore mentioned linguistics degree would get you in, but I doubt it, as teaching to adults that can't read/speak English is a different ball game to teaching kids that can.

I can't say for sure though, as I was never interested in teaching at a school in Oz. I do know the law is strict here compared to the UK because I can get a job there teaching EFL at a language school based on my CELTA.

I'm sure the info is out there. Just relaying what they told us at my course. The law may have changed by now (I'm back doing the corporate thing now, so my certificate is very dusty!)

Archived