Electrical Engineering Technicians' and Draftspersons' Thread (312312) and (312311)

josephcom

I am really tired of searching here and there to find the required information for being assessed as a simple (!) Electrical Engineering Technician (312312). So I decided to create a cozy thread only for we electrical technicians to share our experiences with other colleagues.

Please bear in mind that share, share and again share whatever you know as the smallest piece of information may make the life far more easier for someone else. Of course you can ask whatever you wish, but try not to be overload ;-)

First of all I think it's nice to start from myself. I got a diploma qualification from a vocational high school in electrotechnology (1999). After that I went to a technical-vocational institute and after 2 years of study I got another qualification (associate degree) in electrotechnology (2002). Then in 2005 I started to work in the electrical maintenance department of a petrochemical industrial company as an electrical technician. Then in 2010, WITHOUT leaving my work, I got BS degree in Electrical Engineering. Now (2012) I have 7 years of work experience in the same company and still working ...

Why I was not successful with Engineers Australia as a professional engineer?

Here is their response: "- Your Associate Degree completed August 2002 is comparable to an AQF Certificate 4.

- Your BSc (Electrical technology Engineering) is comparable to an AQF Associate Degree.

Your combined qualifications are NOT comparable to an Australian Bachelor of Engineering. Consequently, the outcome given was recognition in the Engineering Technologist category, not the Professional Engineer category."

Why Engineers Australia think so?

email me to know (joseph.marzbani[at]gmail.com)

Why I've not sent my docs to TRA?

To be honest, I'm full of questions. I don't know how to assemble my work experience evidences. The title of my contract in the first two years of my job was "on-job-training'. But I didn't have a SPECIFIC trainer of something. I'm not sure if it's necessary to mention such title for TRA or not? Which of those pathways suit my circumstances? I never worked as a 'apprentice' or 'trainee'. But I have two formal qualifications. If I have to mention those two years as 'on-job-training', how should I prove it? how should I explain my duties? who must certify that?

Archived